Seperating Areas using LED RGB Light Strips

User based support for the Sunlite Touch Sensitive Intelligent Control Keypad

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, Ben

Robrien

Seperating Areas using LED RGB Light Strips

Post by Robrien »

Hi,

I am trying to set up different areas using 2 DMX decoders and a STICK-KE1 controller. The best way to describe what I am trying to achieve is imagine a square room with 6 RGB strips connected in series on each side. 2 opposite sides are connected to one DMX decoder and the other 2 sides to the 2nd DMX decoder. I then have the DMX decoders connected together via the Ethernet connection on each box. What I am trying to achieve is to control 2 opposite sides individually or at the same time. At the moment I can run everything at the same time but from my understanding of the STICK and the areas feature I should be able to split the 'room' up and control 2 sides as one area and sides as the other and run many different scenes per side.

Does this make sense to anyone and any advice on how to do what I am trying to is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rory
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Seperating Areas using LED RGB Light Strips

Post by simonB »

Hi Rory

Yes that makes sense. Are your decoders 3 channels each? If so:
-Make 2 areas inside the ESAPro software on the left
-Patch 2 Generic->RGB lighting fixtures (select patch in top left)
-Put fixture 1 in your first area and fixture 2 in your second area (select areas patch)

You could have the global area on page A (where all lights are controlled), area 1 on page B and area 2 on page C.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Robrien

Post by Robrien »

Simon,

Thanks for the reply. I finally got it working after I set the DIP switches correctly on the DMX decoder. I set the first DMX decoder (the one connected to the STICK) with dip switch 001 to down (which is the ON position) and the second DMX decoder dip switch 004 to the ON position. Worked like a charm....

One other question, is is possible to have a separate 'Area' on a strip of the RGB LED's which are connected in series? In other words, have one strip of LED's as one area and the second as another area but they are connected in series and therefore connected to the same decoder. Or will this only work by having the light strips on different decoders and setting up the areas as previously explained?

Thanks for your help,

Rory
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

This depends on how many channels your DMX decoder supports. If it is a 3 channel decoder then it is not possible.
Simon
--
Sales/Support