iPhone app and S.T.I.C.K. in VPN

User based support for the Sunlite Touch Sensitive Intelligent Control Keypad

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, Ben

cbruegmann

iPhone app and S.T.I.C.K. in VPN

Post by cbruegmann »

I am using iPhone app and S.T.I.C.K. (all latest firmware) - within local network everything is fine.

Problem: Using the app while not connected directly to local LAN (WLAN), but connected by VPN to the local network, the S.T.I.C.K. is not visible to the application. Idea for this usage is, being outside of the range of the local WLAN, but still being able to choose the light scenes by 3G network (interne -> VPN -> STICK).

I think that the automatical search for S.T.I.C.K. units within the local WLAN is the problem. It might be based on UPnP, which is not correctly forwarded to the VPN router.

Is there a possiblity to configure a S.T.I.C.K. IP address manually to connect to the unit through VPN?

Thanks
Christian
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: iPhone app and S.T.I.C.K. in VPN

Post by simonB »

Hi Christian

This is not currently possible. The iPhone is broadcasting a UDP datagram to discover the connected STICKs and as you have already discovered these cannot be forwarded over a VPN. It is not currently possible to specify a custom IP address and port in the app, but even if it were, the STICK answers by broadcasting all of its datagrams which are not passed through the router so it would not work anyway.

Internet control is in the idea bag for the future but not right now as we are working on more powerful mobile lighting control apps for LANs and STICK2 projects.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
cbruegmann

Post by cbruegmann »

Dear Simon,
thank you for information - I will try to get the UDP packages also forwarded.. let's see what's possible... can you tell me the UDP ports you are using?
Christian
cbruegmann

Post by cbruegmann »

Dear Simon,
it seems as if the application (your iPhone app) is testing if the network connection is set up via WLAN or 3G. In other words - even if I forward UDP packages from and to the iPhone (in the VPN) I will never get the application up&running as the error message is "No Wi-Fi connection". If we can get behind this point, I will be able to configure a VPN router to forward UDP packages (if you tell me the UDP ports, you are using, otherwise I will to some sniffing) ...
Christian
ChristopheJ

Post by ChristopheJ »

Hi Christian,
The "No Wi-Fi connection" warning doesn't really mean your not connected to your wireless router. It means that the app couldn't broadcast the init datagram thru the UDP socket. I guess this could be possible on VPN. You can use Wireshark to see if you can receive those messages on the other computers of the network (UDP port 2430).

Christophe.
iPhone dev for Stick Remote.
chantp00

Post by chantp00 »

Whether the UDP connection in between iphone/STICK is encrypted?
If no, can encrypted the UDP connection??