Latest firmware... DMX jitter

User based support for the Sunlite Touch Sensitive Intelligent Control Keypad

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, Ben

teedub303
Junior Forumor

Latest firmware... DMX jitter

Post by teedub303 »

I have 2 clients that i've installed STICK's at (one I purchased through you once I became a dealer, the other I purchased through a dealer before then), both of them seem to have occasional troubles where the DMX seems to be inconsistent. At one site, they have 12 LED lights that seem to blink randomly, as if the DMX values were kind of random... i've seen similar results with systems that have DMX timing issues. At the other customer site, they have 8 LED's and 2 Trackspots. The trackspots seem to do the same thing, with the mirrors moving erratically. It seems the devices with the higher DMX addresses are usually the ones affected. Both sites have terminated DMX lines, so it's not lack of termination.

Any idea what's going on? Is there a timing issue with the latest firmware? This didn't seem to happen with earlier firmware.

Actually looking at things, I think I have firmware 1.13. I'll try updating to 1.16 tonight and see if that helps.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Latest firmware... DMX jitter

Post by simonB »

Double check the firmware. A newer firmware version should not cause fault to the DMX output so please double check that the issue only started after the firmware update.
You shouldnt really be using more than 16 devices in 1 chain (16 DMX drivers, 1 48Channel LED power pack counts as 1 DMX device). If you are, it could be a good idea to purchase a DMX splitter/booster like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmx_splitter_4.htm. This is cheaper than your standard LED dimmer pack and has solved countless DMX interference issues for me.
teedub303
Junior Forumor

Post by teedub303 »

There are actually only 7 devices on the dmx chain (the LEDs count as one device, as the power/data supply for the LEDs is the only device in the chain).

To alleviate any concerns, the data corruption turned out to not be due to the STICK, as the data on the DMX line ended up being rock solid (gotta love a good DMX protocol analyzer). I narrowed it down to something with the LED power supply or its wiring.

Thanks for your quick response. Glad it's not the controller that is the problem.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Same here!