EVOLVEINSTALL
Experienced Forumor

Stick Devices Dimmer

Post by EVOLVEINSTALL »

2 types given - Standalone

100% in the middle
0-100%

Program a scene (RGB) 100% Red @ 20% Dimmer Intensity
If 0-100% mode - actually means 20% intensity in middle - Low(0%) = 0% output / High(100%) = 40% output
If 0-200% mode - 0% = Black output / Middle 100% = Red @ 20% output / High 200% = RGB Full White output

0-200% Mode is a LED Saturation Dimmer
0-100% Mode is not true

If i program a scene at 20% brightness in the middle, when at High it should be 100% Brightness of the DMX channels programmed, and not adding all channels!

Means the best way forward is to program all scenes at 50% Brightness so 0-100% becomes a true Dimmer!
TomHat
Experienced Forumor

Re: Stick Devices Dimmer

Post by TomHat »

Hello,

I don't understand what you mean, here. Could you try to give more details ? Don't hesitate to add illustrations if you feel it might help get your point across.

Regards,
TomHat
--
ESA Pro 2 Support

Mail : [email protected]
EVOLVEINSTALL
Experienced Forumor

Post by EVOLVEINSTALL »

Little bit hard for me to do, as my DMX Tester is requires the Iphone..Also, i started this thread in ESAPRO2 because we had no index for the stick devices, but globally they all respond the same. KE2 and DE3.

Shall do the best to break it down.

This is to do with the Override Dimmer on Stick devices like the KE2, in standalone mode. If memory serves me correct, when testing. I know it has been like this since day dot. However i do not understand the logic.

Using ESAPRO2 to program.

Create a New Scene with a 1x RGB Light @DMX001. Within the scene, i will put DMX001 @ 255/100% Red in the timeline. Now you can also add a dimmer to this, so i will set that to 20%.
Upload onto the Stick.
Replay the scene in standalone mode.
it will play Scene 1 - DMX001 @ 20%.

In HWM you have 2 options on the behaviour of the front panel Dimmer. 100% or In the Middle (0-200%)

keeping in mind the scene above.
In 0-100%
Stick @ 0% = Output DMX001 @ 0%
Stick @ 50% = Output DMX001 @ 20%
Stick @ 100% = Output DMX001 @ 40%

In 0-200%
Stick @ 0% = Output DMX001 @ 0%
Stick @ 50% = Output DMX001 @ 20%
Stick @ 100% = Output DMX001 + DMX002 + DMX003 @ 100%

In an ideal world or in the manual, we programmers need to keep or be told to keep our timelines Dimmers @ 50%, so then 0-100% standalone mode becomes a true dimmer. However in this instance, my client wanted a low value to begin with but still wanted full Dim & brightness control, as this scene was a chase sequence not static.

0-200% mode acts as a saturation dimmer, like the CW4 Stick 5 (This should be optional, so can choose between Saturation or Speed!!!)

Why can it not adjust only the programmed channels, and make a true dimmer (Not all White, or doubled to the level programmed), and not add other channels which are not in the scene.
If i wanted RGB LED White, i would select Colour Override.

I presume it's more complicated, if other DMX levels were introduced into the Scene - then 0-100% mode Doubles any DMX Level. however it's all dependant upon the programming.

If you have a Single/Mono Channels, then 0-200% makes a little more useful sense, however add RGB LEDS into the same scene and you'll have a white mess.
TomHat
Experienced Forumor

Post by TomHat »

I understand the difficulty.

This dimmer tries to make sense of all possible types of fixtures.
A simple RGB fixture with no physical dimmer cannot quite be handled in the same way as a more complex fixture with physical dimmer.

Also, the DIMMER feature you can find in a block tries to do the exact same thing. It doesn't quite work in the same way, whether the fixture do or do not have a physical dimmer channel.

I will still forward your feedback to the hardware team to see if they can look into improving this management.

Regards,
TomHat
--
ESA Pro 2 Support

Mail : [email protected]
EVOLVEINSTALL
Experienced Forumor

Post by EVOLVEINSTALL »

Thanks, Sounds confusing.

I understand. it would be nice to have this smoothed out in stand alone mode or at least expressed with 'How you prefer us to program correctly to act as a true dimmer', even saying that the V Dimmer is Preferred to be utilised to make the perfect scenario for stand alone mode.
EVOLVEINSTALL
Experienced Forumor

Post by EVOLVEINSTALL »

Also, You call this a Dimmer Function but it's actually saturation.

technically, ESAPRO2 you've added a Virtual Dimmer to the timeline however the stand alone processor will not be able to convert this to represent correctly?

What would it take? a LED Driver with a seperate master dimming channel?