choppy playback of curve effect after export from scenebuilder

The second edition of our lighting control software designed for mobile DJ and architectural applications

Moderators: simonB, nick, TomHat, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

hcg
New Forumor

choppy playback of curve effect after export from scenebuilder

Post by hcg »

Hi,
I am working on creating smooth ramps on a series of 48 white single channel fixtures.
I have been playing around with the sine curve effect and I am able to achieve most of what I am trying to do.

When I am inside the scene builder the effect plays back smoothly, but when I exit scene builder and save the effect as a scene the playback is really choppy. Hopefully there are some settings I can adjust to get rid of this problem?

In the steps for the scene I made there are 60 steps, some with fadetime of 00m00s16, some with 00m00s20.
The curve effect I made was 10 seconds long.
Attached is a screenshot of the effect.

this is ESA2 on mac connected to a slesa ue7 interface, latest software and firmware.
nick
Maxi Forumor

Re: choppy playback of curve effect after export from scenebuilder

Post by nick »

Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

You could try reducing the compression used when generating the effect. Please see facebook article (link below) about saving memory. You want to do the opposite! The SLESA-UE7 has almost unlimited memory with the SD card slot.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nicolaud ... 6906035052

If this does not fix it, could you please post your dlm show file and let me know which version (date) of ESA2 Mac you are using.

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Nicolaudie Tech Support
hcg
New Forumor

Post by hcg »

Hi,
thanks for the tip.
I didn´t know that when playing back from ESA that the file was stored on the interface. Will try it tomorrow morning.

Another question related to curves. Is it possible to make custom curves?

I want to make something like this photoshopped image: a narrow bell-like shape in the middle and levels at 0 on both sides. I was almost able to do it by tweaking the parameters for the sine curve, but not quite.
Attachments
narrowcurve.png
narrowcurve.png (13.5 KiB) Viewed 12906 times
nick
Maxi Forumor

Post by nick »

Hi HP,

> I didn´t know that when playing back from ESA that the file was stored on the interface.
When playing back from ESA2 it's not stored on the device. But when you generate the scene (the tick button) from Scene Builder window it is stored as a series of steps inside a scene.

> Another question related to curves. Is it possible to make custom curves?
You can only create custom curves in the sense that you can create a type of curve and change there parameters. You can't start drawing points on a curve.

Please see attached dlm showfile to see the closest I could get to your image of the scene builder curve.

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Attachments
curve.zip
(675.83 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Nicolaudie Tech Support
hcg
New Forumor

Post by hcg »

thanks,
will check your curve settings.

the playback was less choppy when I set the slider to 0 (it was at 10). It also seems for some reason that the effect was rendered more choppy with a length of 10s, with for example 5s or 1 minute it was smooth.

Another curve/effect related question:
it might be obvious, but I haven´t figured it out: if I want to reserve the direction of an effect, how would I do that?
So if with 10 fixtures, the effect starts from 1 and ends up at 10, how would I make it start at 10 and go back to 1?

hc
hcg
New Forumor

Post by hcg »

since the curve file was a dlm file I wasn´t actually able to see the settings for the effect, I only see the steps in the editor.
This is pretty close to what I am looking for, except I only want one wave at a time.
nick
Maxi Forumor

Post by nick »

Hi HCG,

Please see attached image to see the settings I used to create the curve.

> if I want to reverse the direction of an effect, how would I do that?
You would need to invert the order of the steps once they're created. I am sorry, unfortunately ESA2 does not have that feature.

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Attachments
curve.png
curve.png (61.15 KiB) Viewed 12883 times
Nicolaudie Tech Support
hcg
New Forumor

Post by hcg »

just a follow up to the question about the direction of an effect. This would be a feature request from me, as it seems strange to be restricted to have the light flow in only one direction.
You mention that reversing the steps is not possible in ESA2. Is this possible with ESA pro?

hc
nick
Maxi Forumor

Post by nick »

Hi HCG,

My apologies, I realise I missed a solution for reversing the play direction of an effect.

Please see this video ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2or14xi0z2cz ... e.mov?dl=0

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Nicolaudie Tech Support
hcg
New Forumor

Post by hcg »

Perfect, thanks!