Devices behave erratically upon disconnect

The second edition of our lighting control software designed for mobile DJ and architectural applications

Moderators: simonB, nick, TomHat, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

mikepal33

Devices behave erratically upon disconnect

Post by mikepal33 »

When disconnecting the USB from my SLESA U9, several of my devices will turn on and stay on rather than off. This happens if I pull the USB cable, unplug the DMX from the SLESA U9, shutdown the computer, or close ESA2. This, of course, causes several problems when trying to use the software on any kind of a schedule. It is not the devices themselves because the result is inconsistent. One time a light will turn on and start strobbing, and the next it will be off but a fan will turn on full blast. These side effects also occur when booting up the PC even before ESA2 has opened. This would seem to indicate a hardware problem with the SLESA U9 rather than a software issue with ESA2.

SLESA U9
ESA 2 Version March 31 16.331
latest firmware
Windows 10
nick
Maxi Forumor

Re: Devices behave erratically upon disconnect

Post by nick »

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your message.

When you unplug the SLESA-U9 from USB power, it will turn off and stop sending DMX. The only power on the device is a battery that is responsible for keeping the clock time. I suspect that your fixtures or fixture decoder (which may be built into your fixtures) are either going back to a default state or demo mode, or are displaying the last known DMX value sent. In the case of them displaying the last known DMX value, this could be quite random, depending on what was sent just before turning the SLESA off.

For example, in our office we have a moving head which goes into a demo mode when it stops receiving DMX. We also have simple RGB lights, connected to an LED driver/decoder, which displays the last known DMX values. This is actually normal behaviour for DMX fixtures and driver/decoders.

When you close your software, the SLESA-U9 will return to Standalone mode. If you have a demo show on your device or a show you have previously written, it may start playing this show, which could cause some of your fixtures to become active. You can use HardwareManager (found in the same directory as ESA2) to write an Empty Show to the device to test this.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Nicolaudie Tech Support