Just a very basic question please. Sunlite crashes if installed in C:Programs folder.

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

stonehedge
Junior Forumor

Just a very basic question please. Sunlite crashes if installed in C:Programs folder.

Post by stonehedge »

Hi,

I have an old interface, so please don't flame me for that. Im just asking a very basic question...

I recently upgraded from XP 32bit to Win7 pro 32bit only. Everything seems ok if i install Sunlite in the default folder during installation C:SL2006,, but if i try to install Sunlite on C:\PROGRAMS folder, Sunlite wont start at all and it crashes after the splash logo. Any info why this might be so.

Your suggestions or ideas will be greatly valued.

Thanks
Superbaloo8
Experienced Forumor

Re: Just a very basic question please. Sunlite crashes if installed in C:Programs folder.

Post by Superbaloo8 »

Hi :)

Sunlite has to be exclusively install at your c:\ root folder. Why do you want to install this last at another location?
Sunlite Suite 2
  • Interface Economy Class
  • Akai APC mini, Akai APC 40 mkII & Elation Midicon
LightJockey
  • @MixLightEvent (31) France
  • @Podium La Peña 31 (31) France
Spb8 Lighting - Sunlite Suite 2 Services
Forum Français Sunlite Suite
stonehedge
Junior Forumor

Re: Just a very basic question please. Sunlite crashes if installed in C:Programs folder.

Post by stonehedge »

Hello,

There is no such binding that Sunlite should be installed only on C:. In fact by default no windows program will install on C: directly. If you notice most programs will install only into "C:\Programs". You are putting it the other way around asking why it should be installed elsewhere.

Also in my install on my Desktop PC and older laptop both having Windows XP, Sunlite is installed in C:\Programs only ! Thats why i was wondering if in Windows 7 there was some disagreement with Sunlite 2006 that it insists on installing on C: and not inside the programs folder.

Anyway i have installed it outside the programs folder only since no other way to get it to work. I reinstalled the OS 3 times and tried and finally found this is not a vague bug. It methodically wants to install only outside the programs folder. Anyway at least Sunlite is installed and running, that itself is a big surprise !

Regards
mtregael
Super Forumor

Post by mtregael »

Hi stonehedge,

I can't help you to correct that, but i can say that sunlite 2006 launch when installed inside "C:\Program Files (x86)\SL2006" on windows 7 pro 64bits.
I have tried that just before reply to you.

The "C:\Program Files" is reserved exclusively for 64 bits software on 64 bits windows 7 OS.

... so, be careful about your windows 7 version ! suite2006 interface drivers only work on 32 bits plateform ! (see the faq: https://www.nicolaudie.com/fr/faqs.htm )

Gaël Rambaud
Light Designer and Technician
Sunlite Suite 2 and Suite 3 Beta / 7 universes (Suite2 FC + 4 artnet)
*** Freelance ***
gael (@) bloc-company.com
http://www.bloc-company.com
stonehedge
Junior Forumor

Post by stonehedge »

Hi Mtregael,

Thanks for the detailed post. Mine is Win7 32 Bit only. Thats why i clearly mentioned it in my first post specifically that ive only changed OS from XP to Win 7. But im staying within 32bit only. Only in 64bit comes the issue of installing 32bit programs into the x86 folder for safe operation.

However i found the solution to my problem. It installs correctly, but only crashes when the program is started first time. So im posting the procedure so that other forum members who have a same problem can do the following to rectify it.

You have to install the program using right click and selecting Run As Administrator.
Install in your convenient folder.
After Sunlite installs into your convenient folder. Don't run the program.
Go into the installed folder and right click the main exe files such as Sl2006, Easyview, Easyshow, Scanlibrary, EasyConsole, etc and click Properties. Then select Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode and select Windows XP SP3 or whatever and on the bottom of the panel also select Run As Administrator.

Then start Sunlite and it should run normally without problems.
Hope this will help all members who might run into this problem or if you have similar problems even with a different OS giving you startup failures then you could try the same method.

WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR !