Micro PAN/TILT judder

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

DATechnics
New Forumor

Micro PAN/TILT judder

Post by DATechnics »

Hello guys,
I have a problem with the micro PAN/TILT behavior of the software, when slowing down a movement of a fixture.
Is that normal that the values of the micro Pan/Tilt channels are stepping in very large intervals instead of "fading" through all values from 0 to 255?
This creates an ugly judder of moving heads, when the movement is very slow.

This problem doesn't exist if I set the time interval in EasyTime editor to a very high value (e.g. 1 minute) and press "Play", but when the switch is saved, the same juddering appears.

Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong?

Best regards,
Alex
Attachments
EasyTime Editor
EasyTime Editor
Unbenannt2.jpg (153.69 KiB) Viewed 10478 times
Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (27.03 KiB) Viewed 10478 times
Superbaloo8
Experienced Forumor

Re: Micro PAN/TILT judder

Post by Superbaloo8 »

Hello DATechnics,

16 bits resolution is maybe quite tricky to understand, that's why you don't understand what happened.

Standard resolution (8 bits) for Pan Tilt control admit 255 different values. But in fine resolution (16bits), for each steps of 8 bits ,you have dedicated 8 bits steps.

So, for a move between value 0-10, you have 11 steps (0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10), it means that you will have 11 steps fade for the additional DMX value (0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255;0-255).

That's why you can see something "not normal", but it is normal.

---

But overall, I don't understand your following point: "This problem doesn't exist if I set the time interval in EasyTime editor to a very high value (e.g. 1 minute) and press "Play"

From my side, I don't see the micro/pan tilt played in the editor (even If I remember already seen it fading :()
Sunlite Suite 2
  • Interface Economy Class
  • Akai APC mini, Akai APC 40 mkII & Elation Midicon
LightJockey
  • @MixLightEvent (31) France
  • @Podium La Peña 31 (31) France
Spb8 Lighting - Sunlite Suite 2 Services
Forum Français Sunlite Suite
DATechnics
New Forumor

Post by DATechnics »

Hello Superbaloo8,

maybe my video will help you to understand what I mean: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3W1A4 ... sp=sharing
The first time (when playing out of EasyTime) the values of microTILT are fading through from 0 to 255. Second time (in Live Mode) they're stepping (even TILT-values are stepping).
I've tested the issue again live with moving heads and scanner and unfortunately it is fact that when the movement is played out of EasyTime Editor, it looks nice without juddering,
but when it's played in Live-Mode (as you can see in the second part of the video), the movement isn't smooth (especially when using scanner the mirrors move stepwise).

@the moderators: Please check, if this issue is a software bug. I'm pretty sure it is one.

Thank you for your help.

Alex
Threadrag
Junior Forumor

Post by Threadrag »

Hello,

I know that problem.

First, please ignore the times in the pan/tilt editor. You can leave them at default (1sec) at any given moment. I don't think they are very useful at all. More important is the length of the pan/tilt effect in EasyTime. Expand the length of that bar to a very long time, e.g. 1 minute. Now you are able to slow down the scene and the movingheads still move smooth. I hope that's comprehensive.

Simon
DATechnics
New Forumor

Post by DATechnics »

Hey Simon,
thanks for your reply.
Ok, this would work but then I can't make the movement fast enough if I need it.

Isn't there the possibility to change this behaviour in an update?
In Sunlite Suite 1 this worked fine.

Best regards,
Alex
Threadrag
Junior Forumor

Post by Threadrag »

Are you sure it won't work for you?

E.g. what I did:
-set the time for the pan/tilt bar in EasyTime to 30 seconds. That's equal to my slowest possible movement.
-now I can raise the tempo knob from 0 to 90% to get from slowest to fastest movement. 100% is even too fast for the heads.

If it's not enough for you, you can still try a shorter bar length, let's say 20 seconds and use a tempo knob range from e.g. -30% to 100%. I guess, there is only a pan/tilt judder if you go down to about -70% and more. It depends on your scene.
nick
Maxi Forumor

Post by nick »

Hi,

This bug has been fixed in the latest Sunlite Suite 2 Beta - 26 March 2018.
http://forum.nicolaudie.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41158

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Nicolaudie Tech Support