Communication between Sunlite and others softwares

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

Tronics
New Forumor

Communication between Sunlite and others softwares

Post by Tronics »

Hello,

I'm a developper, and I'm searching for a solution to allow a communication between sunlite suite 2 and a third party software.
Explanation: I use sunlite suite 2 to control my lights, and an home made VJ software to control my LED screens.
I use nicolaudie EasyTime software to manage light in live, but I can't use EasyTime to control my LED screens.

So my question is: How can I export DMX data from sunlite to another software, to allow me for example to use screen like a giant RGB LED light.

I have some idea, but none seams possible:
- I can create a Sunlite Plugin to capture DMX data, and send them to my software... but the nicolaudie developper kit don't allow the plugin creation for sunlite, we can only make a software from scratch.
- I can re-use the easyview 3D protocol to capture the DMX data in my software, but I didn't find any documentation to help me to understand how easy view capture these data (I think it's possible, Freestyler use ease view 3D without any problem).
- I can add an OpenDMX interface to my computer, then connect a cable between my sunlite suite 2 output connector and the OpenDMX input cable... but this solution is very ugly, and I already need all my sunlite output connector to control my light.

Can you help me ? What is the better solution ? How can we extend Sunlite Suite 2 feature ?
Thanks
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Communication between Sunlite and others softwares

Post by simonB »

Hi There

You cannot export DMX data and import it into another software package. If we allowed this, users could program their shows with our free software and then use them with another manufacturers DMX interfaces.

One option would be to use art-net and see if you can find a way of passing the network information with a virtual network driver. Alternatively you could trigger effects programmed in your software with MIDI messages from Suite 2.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Tronics
New Forumor

Post by Tronics »

Thank you simonB for answer.

I understand the problem, so I think artnet can be a good alternative, but...

Sunlite is a great lighting software, I use it for many years, and I like it very much. But Sunlite have a real problem: the artnet support.
To be honest with you, the Sunlite Suite 2 artnet configuration tool is the worst tool I never seen, all others softwares I already try, free or commercial, have a better artnet support.

For many years, I have an Arnet converter (artnet1, broadcast support only), and use it with sunlite. Since april 2014, I can't update sunlite anymore because you remove the artnet broadcast support: why ?
Ok, so I try a new Artnet converter, with unicast support now. But now, I have a new problem: where are the options in sunlite ? There are no option in Sunlite, it's imposible to specify a target IP, a net or subnet. why ??? I have the First Class version of Sunlite, with 4 output univers. For the moment I don't need more, but maybe tomorrow I will want to connect my LED screen with sunlite and artnet: 48 DMX universes... impossible because of a strange limitation to 40 artnet output universes with the FC+ version: why ?
Sunlite Suite 2 is a very good software, but your artnet support is the worst I've never seen.

So, your idea can be a good solution, if your team add a custom target IP support, so I will send artnet data to localhost.

If you want to have a great artnet support in sunlite, here my suggestions:
- (Re)Add artnet1 support (broadcast) (so sunlite will have 2 artnet output module, broadcast or unicast, let users choose), with custom network support (not only the standard 2.0.0.0/8 network)
- Add artnet3 unicast option: for each universes, add option to set a custom target IP, a net, a subnet and an universe. (+ add net/subnet/universe support for broadcast artnet1 also)

Thank you for your time
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

The latest version includes broadcast support again. We plan to add some unicast settings in a future version.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Tronics
New Forumor

Post by Tronics »

simonB wrote:The latest version includes broadcast support again.
Really ? It's a good news, I will try that soon !
simonB wrote:We plan to add some unicast settings in a future version.
It's a good news to heart that :-) If you can add the choose between unicast and broadcast, it also will be fine (for example with 2 artnet output modules, one simple broadcast module, and one unicast module with more options).

Thank you for answer, so I will try this solution... with future version of Sunlite.