Random Glitches in DMX Output

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

BrianSimons
New Forumor

Random Glitches in DMX Output

Post by BrianSimons »

Using both the most recent Official Release of Suite 2, and the September Beta release I get random glitches in the DMX Output. I have a few Elation Event Bar's connected. The Event Bars have four pin spot moving heads. Every 5-10 seconds or so they rapidly move from their set position, and then move right back again. The movement lasts less than a second or so.

I don't believe it's a drop of the DMX signal, because I have the units set to remain in their last known state in the event of a signal loss. So for them to move randomly, the controller must be sending information to do so.

I'm using a laptop with Windows 8 on it. I noticed this at my first event using Suite 2, where the laptop was connected to DJ hardware too. So I brought it in and connected a single Event Bar, with no other USB devices hooked up, no other software running, etc. The glitch still happens. I guess the good news is that it rules out lots of cables and other possible issues, and means the problem is repeatable.

Bad news is, I have no clue how to fix it. Does anyone know if this is a known bug that's being addressed. Or could I have a defective hardware unit?

I'm going to try a few more tests, like using another computer, different OS, etc. But if you see this and know more I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Random Glitches in DMX Output

Post by simonB »

Open tools.exe and move the faders on the test tab. Do you still have the same problem? This will help us find out if it's a hardware or software related problem.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
BrianSimons
New Forumor

Post by BrianSimons »

Hi, I just tried out the Test controls in Tools, and it has the glitch there as well. When I use these lights for events the DMX channel starts at 400. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but when I changed the unit to DMX address 1 and ran the test - it would have the glitch, but much less frequently, and the lights don't stray as far. I then put it back to 400, and used the Test again - and it seemed to have more frequent sporadic behavior, and the random movements were more pronounced.

The details on my Hardware:
Product Code: 40081
Firmware: 1.20
SIUDI-7A (1024)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
hsteppke
Super Forumor

Post by hsteppke »

That sounds more like a DMX signal timming issue, i had similar for some cheap LED Bars.
If i remember correctly (it was using on an E:Cue Interface) i lowered the refresh rate of the Signal and increased the gap between each cycle.
Together with terminating the DMX line correctly it solved the issue.

Holger
BrianSimons
New Forumor

Post by BrianSimons »

Thanks Holger, that corrected the problem. I changed the timing settings to the Preset for the slowest/most compatible, and glitches are gone. Sweet.

Thanks,
Brian