Basic Setup info request

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

cbabbman
Junior Forumor

Basic Setup info request

Post by cbabbman »

Just got SS2...

Here's my situation... I'm the bass player in a band. I don't sing and know computers so everyone thought I was the logical choice to come up with our lighting rig and deal with it. Fortunately, I have a programming background and do Industrial Automation for a living. I also have a pretty good eye for making things look good on stage...

I spent a lot of time researching and playing with the different DMX software available and Sunlite seemed best suited for me, especially with the timeline features and MIDI.

Everything we do is based off of a click track and we generally do our tunes the same day in and day out so I wanted to be able to sequence the lights to our show as easily as possible.

My current setup is mostly Blizzard fixtures... 4 Blades, 4 Washes and a bunch of LED Par's. I also have 2 Chauvet Q-Spot 260's. Some uplighting will be coming in the future.

I guess I'm looking to see if there is anyone doing anything similar to see what they have gone through... also, if there are some pitfalls to watch out for and mainly, to get some advice on the best way to set things up in SS2 to handle the whole setup.

I'd rather just have someone doing this full time, but it's not feasible right now so I gotta work with what I got..

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,,,
gabrielefx
Junior Forumor

Re: Basic Setup info request

Post by gabrielefx »

what's the geometry of your stage?
cbabbman
Junior Forumor

Re: Basic Setup info request

Post by cbabbman »

Typically 25' or 30' x 20' deep. Drum Riser in the rear middle, just in front of my truss

I run a 20' truss along the back with the 2 Q-Spots hung at the ends, a 10'x5' banner hung in the middle and 2 blades on either side of the banner.

A splat is hung about a foot off of the back of the truss running almost the full length and height with 2 moving head wash's on the ground on each side of the banner to wash the splat.

Blizzard FAB 5's are on the sides pointing across the band to give some depth and in the front. All of them on stands.

This setup is just my 1st attempt at this... placement of the fixtures could change positions depending on what everyone in the band thinks.