switch/scene dimmers

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

MarkoftheWild
Experienced Forumor

switch/scene dimmers

Post by MarkoftheWild »

I have scenes and switches set up. I want to give each scene and switch it's own dimmer. so i got go the button settings and click on show faders for the function i want. Is it possible to set the dimmer not to go below 50%? I want to give other operators the ability to dim things but not below 50%.

I should also let you know that the switches in question are made with easy time effects and the dimmer channel is set to that. perhaps the constant level has something to do with it?

Thanks!
Mark Green
Mark of the Wild
PO Box 1102
Talkeetna, Alaska
907-744-1633 (mobile)
907-562-6689 (office)
www.markofthewild.com
[email protected]
Threadrag
Junior Forumor

Re: switch/scene dimmers

Post by Threadrag »

Hi Mark,

I haven't the software in front of mine so it is a bit out of my mind, but go to the fixture page properties, select patch. There should be every dmx channel that is used on this page. Search for those who control the dimmer function. I'm not sure if there is a box to click on or a property icon, somewhere you can set a limit of dmx output. I have not tested it in detail. It might be that setting a value is absolute. So you can't change it, if you want to have a smaller value than 50%.

I hope it helps;)
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

When a dimmer is added, it will change all dimmer channels with the 'Dimmer' property assigned.

If you want to dim the channels between 50% and 100%, use the 'Dimmer min/max' property instead (this is under the dimmer property).

-Drag and drop the dimmer min/max property onto the appropriate channels
-Move the fader to 100%
-Click the small 'MIN' checkbox at the bottom of the fader
-Drag the fader up to 50%
Simon
--
Sales/Support
MarkoftheWild
Experienced Forumor

Post by MarkoftheWild »

I have tried this but only viewed it in easyview. In easyview it wont work. I will try this afternoon on location

Thanks!

simonB wrote: If you want to dim the channels between 50% and 100%, use the 'Dimmer min/max' property instead (this is under the dimmer property).
Mark Green
Mark of the Wild
PO Box 1102
Talkeetna, Alaska
907-744-1633 (mobile)
907-562-6689 (office)
www.markofthewild.com
[email protected]
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Hi Mark

See the attached show for an example.
Attachments
dimmer minmax.shw
(8.82 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
Simon
--
Sales/Support
MarkoftheWild
Experienced Forumor

Post by MarkoftheWild »

Hi Simon,

Yes that showfile works however here are the issues.

1.Do you have to set up switch to control the dimming or can I use it on an preexisting switch such as the chases I have set up?

2. even though the dimming fader in the switch works, the "page" dimmer will override it and enable the operator to dim to 0% any way to disable this?

Thank you!
Mark Green
Mark of the Wild
PO Box 1102
Talkeetna, Alaska
907-744-1633 (mobile)
907-562-6689 (office)
www.markofthewild.com
[email protected]
MarkoftheWild
Experienced Forumor

Post by MarkoftheWild »

OK,

I have spent the last 7 hours trying to get this working. here are the major issues I have right now.

1. For whatever reason you cannot set SS2 to dim to only 50%.

2. I tried using the advance patching feature, setting the minimum amplitude to 50% and the max to 100%. when I do this though the only time it works is when I totally reverse the min/max settings, inverting the dimmer. 0 is max and 100 is off.

3. When I try to make the min setting at ANY percentage, including 0, it shuts the light off totally, something now only the ones that are on
I cannot allow under any circumstances!

4. In the advanced patching window i "unclick" the box for the "page dimmer" yet it still works and in on the page? I need a way to disable this and eliminate from the actual page.

5. I am adding another universe, is there a way to simply move the page from one universe to another , while preserving the programming? using the advance patching to do this seems way to time consuming. (and it is! I just had to do that). Ok and this does not work as well as I thought it would!! while yes it repatches everything to new universes and addresses, it STILL retains the ORIGINAL patching! for example. I have 2 Elation platinum led spots. I need to move them to universe 2 and retain all programming. So i go into the advanced patching and manually repatch all channels on the fixtures and everything works. But when i go to add a new page on universe 1 the fixtures original patching is still in universe 1 when it should be in universe 2. So it would seem that this feature is just cosmetic as it will not physically move the patching to universe 2. Is this a feature or a bug? (this is partly figured out see below, But I would still like to know if there is a way to move pages between universes and have it repatch itself)

6. after moving 8 LED pars to the new Universe 2, only the ones that are on the wireless DMX chain work. I have 8 pars, half of which are hard wired and the other half are wireless DMX. when changing the DMX address a bunch of lights go haywire! any ideas on this? perhaps this where the advanced patching may help? ( OK, I got this one. figured out. same chain same universe or there will be address conflicts. So I believe the advanced patching will handle this and will let you know)

I am sure that I will have more soon but for now that should do it. I really need help on this guys. I stand to lose a very expensive contract over this.

Thank You
Mark Green
Mark of the Wild
PO Box 1102
Talkeetna, Alaska
907-744-1633 (mobile)
907-562-6689 (office)
www.markofthewild.com
[email protected]
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Hi Mark
1. For whatever reason you cannot set SS2 to dim to only 50%.
If you want to force a minimum of 50%, you could scale your DMX output in page settings->patch. I understand it's not the same as forcing a minimum (eg when the dimmer is at 50% the light will be at 75%) but maybe this is ok? Double click the dimmer channel and set the maximum and minimum values (50%-100% if your dimmer channel goes from 0%-100%). The page dimmer will override this, however this can be disabled by unchecking the page dimmer checkbox to the right of the dimmer checkbox (still in page settings->patch).
2. I tried using the advance patching feature, setting the minimum amplitude to 50% and the max to 100%. when I do this though the only time it works is when I totally reverse the min/max settings
It works fine for me without inverting the min and max. If you send me your profile I'll check it out
3. When I try to make the min setting at ANY percentage, including 0, it shuts the light off totally, something now only the ones that are on
I'll need to check it with your profile
4. In the advanced patching window i "unclick" the box for the "page dimmer" yet it still works and in on the page?
I cant reproduce this (I'm testing with the latest version). Again maybe its a profile issue
when i go to add a new page on universe 1 the fixtures original patching is still in universe 1 when it should be in universe 2. So it would seem that this feature is just cosmetic as it will not physically move the patching to universe 2..
The advanced patching is just on the output, the fixtures are still physically patched in the same place. To move fixtures permanently, go to page settings->patch and click the small moving head icon in the top right. Drag and drop your fixtures to change the patch. Note that any advanced patching will be preserved so this will need to be re-made.
Simon
--
Sales/Support