Keyboard Keys Sticking on

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

MarkoftheWild
Experienced Forumor

Keyboard Keys Sticking on

Post by MarkoftheWild »

we use a combination of keyboard and touch screen for our system. we have a lot of switches and scenes that are controlled with the touch screen. we also have many scenes and switches that we use via the keyboard that are set to flash mode. we use some of these quite extensively. sometimes some lights are flashed many times with a key at a fast to very fast rate.

I have found that if you are hold down one key and use another key a few times at a fast rate, the first key will stick on. when trying to make it happen with other keys i get the same results.

You dont even have to do it fast. if you hold down a key and hit another one the first one stays active

It would seem that it only affects scenes and not switches. I saw another post about this earlier and it made me think about this issue I was having so I did a little testing.

The sticking of keys is a very important issue for us as we use the keys and touchscreen in unison. The other night a DJ was working and tapped the key for the fog machine a few times while holding down another one. He turned around a moment. when he turned back around the ENTIRE club had filled up with fog,( we have the fogger up full blast), you couldn't even see the stage, let alone the naked girl on it! LOL

This never happened before I installed the latest ver(non beta). Is there a setting for this or is it a bug?

BTW, i have the sticky keys in windows turned off

Thanks!
Mark Green
Mark of the Wild
PO Box 1102
Talkeetna, Alaska
907-744-1633 (mobile)
907-562-6689 (office)
www.markofthewild.com
[email protected]
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Keyboard Keys Sticking on

Post by simonB »

OK, I see what you mean. Arguably the way it works at the moment is correct, but we are going to make a change.

At the moment, scene flashing works by storing the previously selected scene in a buffer when the flash button is pressed, then calling it once the flash button is released. For example:
Scene 1 - no shortcut
Scene 2 - flash shortcut 'a'
Scene 3 - flash shortcut 's'

-trigger scene 1 with the mouse
-hold 'a', scene 1 is added to the buffer and scene 2 is activated
-hold 's' - scene 2 is added to the buffer and scene 3 is activated
-release 'a', nothing will happen because 's' is still being held
-release 's', the scene in the buffer is activated (scene 2)

This allows you to stack flashes and will always send you 1 action back when a key is released. However we understand that if you have a scene triggered and multiple other scenes being used as flash button it can give the impression that keys are sticking.

What we are going to do is to freeze the buffer if more than 1 key is pressed at a time. If we take the example from above, this is what will happen:
-trigger scene 1 with the mouse
-hold 'a', scene 1 is added to the buffer and scene 2 is activated
-hold 's' - the buffer is frozen (scene1) and scene 3 is activated
-release 'a', nothing will happen because 's' is still being held
-release 's', the scene in the buffer is activated (scene 1)

To be honest if you're using many flash buttons on a page, especially for things like smoke, you should be using switches not scenes. I was against implementing flash shortcuts for scenes in the first place because it is unclear exactly how they should function and what should be triggered once a flash scene has been released.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
MarkoftheWild
Experienced Forumor

Re: Keyboard Keys Sticking on

Post by MarkoftheWild »

I tested it on scenes. I just recreated it on a switch that is give the guys some trouble. I have 20 LED par38 Pro. I have the switch set to flash red when you press the apostrophe key and the semi colon set to flash blue. The red will stick on after a few quick presses between the red and blue keys. I could not get the blue to stay on though. I will try other key combinations later today.
Mark Green
Mark of the Wild
PO Box 1102
Talkeetna, Alaska
907-744-1633 (mobile)
907-562-6689 (office)
www.markofthewild.com
[email protected]