My feedback: "buggy"

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

derStefan
New Forumor

My feedback: "buggy"

Post by derStefan »

I upgraded to the new interface for working with Sunlite2 in future times. Today I started programming the first time in Sunlite2 for an upcoming event.

First problem - the new fixture library.
I opened and old ssl-file and saved it as a new ssl2 as a try to tork with existing Fixture-Presets. But from the beginning on some presets/Icons got lost and only empty Icons came up.
So far not a problem I thought...
Wasting 2 hours of time by building up a completly new fixture with the new Library-Editor I thought it would work this way.
But when creating a new page in Sunlight2 with the updated fixture I had to realize that the faults from the beginning where stills the same. Buttons like Gobo-Index, Rotating Gobo, Iris-Index and a lot more still are loaded empty... Nothing happens on the 3D-Preview and as well the DMX-Output does not reacted when pressing the empty buttons.
No default dimmer or tempo-poties are loaded... So essential tools are not available. Not to mention that the re-designed 3D-Preview doen'nt like some normal operation and like to quit with abnormal errors and shuts down the programm. Even simple things like changing the color of an object in 3D does not work, because the color palette will not be loaded. Not to mention that I had to install the Sunlite2006-Version to get the drivers for the new Interface, because the included ones in Sunlite2-Installer will actually not be installed although the installer says it had happened. To much bugs for an official version that is sold and thought for a use under professional terms.

I'm not sure what to do. Have I bought the new Interface just for wasting money and working on with the old Sunlite2006 ? At the moment it seems as if I am faced with this way, because working with Sunlite2 seems not working stable for a use on professional, important and payed events.

Hope you guys work on it, because what I got now is not worth the money I payed for the upgrade... - and please don't tell me I can use SL2006 - therefore I did not upgraded to the new Interface...

Greets

der_Stefan
no rain - no rainbow.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: My feedback: "buggy"

Post by simonB »

Hi der_Stefan

First of all let me make one thing absolutely clear. Sunlite Suite 2 is a beta software and is no where near ready for professional use yet and won't be for some time.

If you are having problems with your profile, send it over to me along with a copy of the DMX description in the user manual and I will fix it and test with the current Suite2 release to see if there is a problem with Suite2.
No default dimmer or tempo-poties are loaded... So essential tools are not available.
Tempo/Audio analysis is not finished yet. As long as you have set a preset as a default preset correctly within the fixture profile, the default values should be loaded when the open beam button is selected.
changing the color of an object in 3D does not work
This seems to work fine for me. Note that you cannot change the color of all objects, it depends how they have been created.
To much bugs for an official version that is sold and thought for a use under professional terms.
It is not an official release yet. You should be using Suite1 for the next year. I apologise that this has not been made more clear on the website.
derStefan
New Forumor

Post by derStefan »

Fixture ist called TML-7 manufactured by Futurelight. Tonight I will test up for PHW-250 and Martin CX-4.

To the Beta-Status:

Interesting and nice...
Just in time for Prolight&Sound 2010 everything was published.
No more comments on Beta status for the Software. I payed updates for 2 interfaces on the fair in Frankfurt. Bruno presented us new features and never ever mentioned that the new software is mailfunctioning or still in beta status.
All Flyers that are available as well as information on websites seem to dogmatise that this software is ready to use.
That's not a good change in company policy, selling a car without engine and not to mention it at least...

Would have been nice to know before, if somebody wants me to be a guinea pig.

I can only advice you to clear the software status everywhere, somebody can buy the interfaces.
I'm sorry for saying that, but I'm disappointed that much about being kidded that it is the first time thinking about alternative solutions.

Greets from germany

der_Stefan
no rain - no rainbow.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

The interfaces are fully compatible with the current version of Sunlite Suite 1 and are ready to be used with Sunlite Suite 2 when it is finished towards the end of this year.

I am sorry that this has not been made clear anywhere. I completely agree with you.
derStefan
New Forumor

Post by derStefan »

The interfaces [...] are ready to be used with Sunlite Suite 2 when it is finished towards the end of this year.
Here I am - again - waiting...
Finally the time goes straight ahead to NYE. In germany that means something like "a year comes to it's end"...

Sill the same situation, I guess:
Invested money in a piece of hardware, that can do nothing more than the one I owned before the update.
Still using the old Sunlite for important projects. All that I could have done without wasting money for the "new" interface...

Almost 10 month after selling updates there is no "official" SL2-release. (just Beta) Did I pay for testing your new software and telling you your faults?
Sorry - but if I do work for someone, I'm used to GET PAID - not to pay for it.
Sunlite Suite 2 is still in the BETA stage, therefore it is advisable not to use in professional live events until later in the year (first official release will probably be in September).
September ?... End of the year ?...
I guess a working-official-free-of-bugs-sl2-nonbeta-version will not be released this year - or am I wrong?

I'm disappointed. No more reasons to recommend sunlite/nicolaudie to anyone... (my opinion)

wish you a nice xmas and nye

der_Stefan

now: just rain - no rainbow
no rain - no rainbow.
MarkoftheWild
Experienced Forumor

Post by MarkoftheWild »

I have to chime in here and make a few points.

First off i can understand your frustration. I too have gone through this with another company with whom I was dealing with when i bought the new interface. It was under my impression that I needed to use S2 when i got the interface. The ONLY reason we got the new one was because we upgraded to a 64 bit system. The company we got it from was less than helpful on a lot of matters. I then found out about this forum and the REAL people behind the development of S2. I had thought that the company I bought it from were the developers. I was having some major issues that needed to be fixed fast!

Secondly, once i found out about his forum and people like Simon and Gernot, everything went from bad to great! They will do just about ANYTHING possible to help you with your situation. They have personally taken time out of their schedule not only to skype with me personally but to also do some programming for me for free! Yes the software take a little to get use to. However IT IS very powerful and can do just about anything. Just be patient, don't flame people and things will be ok.

Thirdly, As far as I know, I am the ONLY person in the world who is using S2 on a FULLTIME basis. When I say FULLTIME I mean that it is in use 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, 364 days out of the year. So as far as I am concerned WE are the true guinea pigs. We do not get paid nor do we get any preferential treatment nor do we want any. I was not even asked to do this. I just believe that this software is the best, easy to use alternative to getting a full size console such as a GrandMA or any other. S2 is extremely important us as we are the number 1 strip club in our state and it controls EVERY stage light we have!! We have 11 movers and over 30 pars. All but 3 are LED's. And we are planning to get more! As I am sure you know lighting up naked women can be very interesting and not to mention very hard! They ALL want different lighting, scenes and more lighting combinations than you could ever imagine and run into with ANY band or client. So please take it easy on these guys. Give your input in a professional manner and they will do there best to get your issue resolved as fast as possible.

Also you may want to view the video tutorials on NicolaudieTV, They are very helpful and pretty much covers all functions of S2.

All That being said, Welcome to the forum!
Mark Green
Mark of the Wild
PO Box 1102
Talkeetna, Alaska
907-744-1633 (mobile)
907-562-6689 (office)
www.markofthewild.com
[email protected]
derStefan
New Forumor

Post by derStefan »

Hi Marko,

thanks for your response. I hope you understand my words not wrong.

The handling of the new version is not the problem. I'm a sunlite-user since almost 6 years now and I already tried to work with SL2 - so it's not a question of functions or operation...

And I don't want to say, that they are not trying...
Of course they might try everything - the problem is, that the interface was sold to me by arguing the use of sl2. I did not need a new interface for 64bit-systems. I was glad to hear about the new improvements and the new version - i big progress after all that years with sl2006.

But wy trying to sell a not a tithe of ready product. why not dealing with facts, saying that it's not finished. A half way ready product - and now you tell me, they try everything to make it work, if you have problems.
my opinion: first finishing, then fixing. not fixing while already selling and not even finally developed in mind...

the tutorials do not help me for searching bugs on a liveshow or restarting a crashed software, while the whole stage is out of light - and that happened!

unlike you, me and a lot of other sunlight-users are working "on the road" - everytime a new situation, everytime a lot to do and solve and just a bit of time for programming. I can't waste hours for talking, describing and discussing bugs, that should never have appeared on a software, that is designed for such a use.

I respect your work on that problems and together with the developers. Sunlite/Nicolaudie definetly seems to need people like you.
As well I would never hesitate, to help or give any input if possible - but I have to earn money - I have to work. At the moment that is not possible with sunlite2.

But:
What would you say if I offer you a fully equiped stage with no worries and 5 minutes before the performance starts I shake the head and say "sorry - I need 2 more hous for programming the lightshow and talking to the developers for finxing some problems..." And yes - we work with a backup - but that can not be the solution... backup is for cases of emergency - if something really crashes - not for testing the "first unit" called SL2...

so, to sum up: yes, you will get help at sunlite and may be always an open ear for problems, but I would like just to get on their nerves, if it is something really unexpected or new.

der_Stefan
no rain - no rainbow.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

The non beta of Sunlite is due in the next couple of weeks. We have about 8 more small bugs left to fix(these small bugs do not cause a crash).

I gave you the September completion estimate back in April..I cannot pin point the exact date that we will find and fix all bugs 6 months in advance.

The main reaosn it has taken a little longer is because we have added a lot of extra features requested from our users. New features=new bugs.
Simon
--
Sales/Support