True RGBW

ESA PRO combines the ease of use of the Easy Stand Alone software and new powerful tools required by the latest LED fixtures

Moderators: simonB, nick, TomHat, florent, Ben

69morpho
Junior Forumor

True RGBW

Post by 69morpho »

Hi there,

I am using ESA Pro to control high brightness RGBW powerPix EldoLED light fixtures. Testing the fixtures with ESA Pro's generic RGBW fixture I realized that the color white is not pure white but simply a mixture of RGB at 100%. The white LED in the fixture is not being used at all.
If I use a generic RGB for channel 1-3 and a single channel dimmer for channel 4 I get the pure white of the LED fixture with the single channel dimmer on channel 4. This make the programming of the show quite cumbersome because I have to spread 192 RGBW light fixtures over 2 universes and have to deal with 384 icons (192 RGB + 192 single channel) in the "Groups" window.
Why is the built-in generic RGBW patch fixture no "true" RGBW but just R+G+B=W? It just doesn't make sense.
Is there another 4-channel patch fixture I could use?

I've tried the built-in EldoLED powerPix fixture patch. First it correctly adds a 4 channel fixture but then shows a 30 channel fixture in the "Groups" window. If I click on it to use it in a scene it crashes the application with the "Encountered an improper argument" window. I am using version ESA Pro Feb 11 2012 on a Windows 8 machine.

Thank you for your help!

Erwin
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: True RGBW

Post by simonB »

In ESAPro, the White channel of an RGB fixture is added as you get closer to white. You can choose to adjust the white channel manually or choose a different white dimming curve by selecting 'Set RGBW options' from the Options menu. We want to add a new option here in the future for the white channel to replace the RGB channels. For example, if the RGB channels are at 10%, 15% and 20%, the white channel will be set to 10% and 10% will be subtracted from the RGB channels.

I have tested the multi-beam with the EldoLED powerPix profile and have corrected a few errors. If you only need to control the full fixture, then the generic RGBW profile would be the correct one to use, however if you want to have separate control of each of the 29 pixels, use the attached profile in Mode 3. It is best to use RECTs in ESAPro if you're programming with multi-beam fixtures. There was an 'improper argument' bug which sometimes popped up when selecting and zooming a multibeam fixture in the 11th Feb version. This will be corrected in the next version available soon.
Attachments
POWERPIX.ssl2
(40.2 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
Simon
--
Sales/Support