RGB Leds - color calibration

ESA PRO combines the ease of use of the Easy Stand Alone software and new powerful tools required by the latest LED fixtures

Moderators: simonB, nick, TomHat, florent, Ben

Conception
New Forumor

RGB Leds - color calibration

Post by Conception »

Hi there,

I am playing around and exploring the possibilities of using the S.T.I.C.K. for complete residential lighting solutions, mainly using DMX LED controllers/decoders and single color and RGB strips. I am using the following 3ch DMX decoder - http://www.supersound-bg.com/product_de ... maincat=10.

Everything works perfectly with this small exception - there is a slight mis-calibration between the color shown on the screen and the actual color displayed by the LEDs. Interestingly, this difference only occurs around the yellow secondary color - 255R, 255G, 0B gives me a pale green rather than yellow, which is located further down toward red at around 255R, 100G, 0B. Other than this, all the primary and other secondary colors seem to display just fine. I tried using different fixture profiles but non seem to give me accurate color matching. I was wondering if there is a way to calibrate this?

Thanks in advance,

Boris
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: RGB Leds - color calibration

Post by simonB »

Hi Boris

There is no way to calibrate this with ESAPRO. This is a fairly common problem with RGB fixtures which is why it is now also possible to buy RGBA, RGBW and RGBY.

Sunlite Suite 2 allows you to create palettes. This is where you can make a selection of different colours and use them inside your scenes. Afterwards all you need to do is to change your palette and all scenes where this palette has been used with be automatically updated.

Sunlite Suite 2 is works with the STICK however it is a much more advanced package than ESAPRO.

Check out the getting started video tutorials at www.nicolaudie.com/nicolaudietv
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Conception
New Forumor

Post by Conception »

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your quick response! Could you possibly recommend DMX controllers that you know output correct colors? Would i need different LEDs from the standard SMD 5050 RGB strips i am using in order to use the RGBW/RGBY/RGBA drivers?
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Could you possibly recommend DMX controllers that you know output correct colors?
Our controllers send any color. The limitation is only with the fixtures.
Would i need different LEDs from the standard SMD 5050 RGB strips i am using in order to use the RGBW/RGBY/RGBA drivers?
Yes. You will need an RGBW/RGBY or RGBA strip.

You will never get a nice yellow or white from an RGB LED light...it is simply not possible to achieve this from RGB color mixing.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Conception
New Forumor

Post by Conception »

Sorry, I didnt express myself correctly, I am satisfied with the STICK controller, i was referring to the actual drivers when i was asking for a recommendation, hoping you might have experience with some RGB LED drivers that output colors correctly (or, at least ,more so than the one i am using)!