is my audio too long or is it the wrong format

Easy Show, You can now easily build your own multimedia light-show with Time-lines !

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

strings41

is my audio too long or is it the wrong format

Post by strings41 »

I am trying to insert a wave file 16bit into easy show for a church drama. Our lights are going to follow the whole track. The wave file is 1 hour and 33 minutes and everytime I insert it it gives me a C++ Runtime error and closes. How can I fix this?
dylan
Maxi Forumor

Post by dylan »

could you send me a cd of your wave file to fix the bug.

Nicolaudie America Inc.
2632 Ellen avenue
Kissimmee, Florida 34744
------- Dylan --------
strings41

Post by strings41 »

I don'r really think it's a bug. I can split it into 9 tracks and it will go in. It just won't go in all at 1 time. The only problem is that there is no good place to break it because it is a church drama and there is no silent spots in it. All background music and voices are all the way through.
Robby

Post by Robby »

What do you mean with "it just won't go in all at 1 time"?
strings41

Post by strings41 »

Ok, I think I have figured out the problem. I think it is a problem with the software.

My audio file is an hour and 33 minutes because it is a drama and there are no silent parts in it to cut it into separate tracks. So when I import it, it goes in my bin, but will not go in the time line. I have several computers so I did my own investigation on it. Here are the results that I have found.

First of all my uncompressed wave file is a little over 900 MB. (I don't want to compress it and lose quality, we have spent a lot of money to keep this quality. So making it a MP3 of less is out of the question).

The first computer has 256 MB of RAM. The maximum length of uncompressed wave it will load is 25 minutes. Anything more errors out and shuts down Easy show.

The second computer has 768 MB of RAM. The maximum length of uncompressed wave it will load is 37 minutes. Anything more errors out and shuts down Easy show.

The third computer has 1 Gig of RAM. The maximum length of uncompressed wave it will load is around 45-50 minutes. Anything more errors out and shuts down Easy show.

With this I will have to have around 4 Gigs of Ram to put in an hour and a half show with quality.

I have a pro audio editing software that I can open up 10 hours of uncompressed audio at a time.

The difference I THINK in the two is that the Audio Editing software reads from my harddrive and Easy show is putting all of that audio in the RAM and reading from the RAM. This method is just waiting for a crash in the middle of a show.

I am not trying to speak badly of the software. In fact, anyone reading this post, I will tell you that no other software will do what this software will do. I think I have just found something that needs attention. Please view this post as me trying to help and not me slamming the software.

Any replies will be appreciated,

Strings41
Robby

Post by Robby »

I appreciate the time you took to do all that testing/trial-and-error...

two things:

1. I'm pretty sure that you can have a compressed wave file (not MP3, but compressed WAV format), that will be 4 times smaller AND will not decrease the quality of the sound.

I understand how a lot of money was spent on that equipment and you want to use it to its full potential. Still, I think it would be worth your time testing a short compressed WAV file of one of your 10 minute segments and compare.

I really doubt anybody could be capable of telling the difference between an uncompressed and a compressed WAV file.

Let us know if this works.
machtl

Post by machtl »

to nicolaudie: could this really be like strings41 tested it?
what if i want to do an exibition and i want that the software will run
over 24 hours in one part? it couldn't be true that we need terabytes of
ram for that...
i often to videoediting with many videofiles opened at the same time, these files are 30-40-50 gigabyte large, and thats no problem on my
machine with 1gb ram. so, please, rework the software to read the data straight from the harddisc. for really special things, users can install a ramdrive-driver too...