RS232 Help - can not get to work

User based support for the Sunlite Touch Sensitive Intelligent Control Keypad

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, Ben

Lumenpulse
New Forumor

RS232 Help - can not get to work

Post by Lumenpulse »

Hello Simon,

I can not seems to get the KU-1 or KE-1 to respond to RS232 commands and I need this working by Tuesday.

I have read the "instructions" on the spec sheet. I have watched the video you posted on this forum, which was much more informative than the spec sheet. Still no response from the STICK.

Some data in response to your questions;

- both units are FW 1.9 May 2012
- my RS232 cable has the following color code, Pin 2 = Brown RX, Pin 3 = Red TX, Pin 5=yellow Grnd
- your video shows Brown, Red and BLACK
- I tried straight thru and crossover connections with my color codes, (yellow as ground) no response
- I tried straight thru and crossover connections with your video color codes, (black as ground) no response
- I have tried sending commands from (2) different RS232 controllers, no response
- I have READ the commands I am sending from my controllers with a RS232 reader, my commands are being sent and they are correct, aka what I send is what is sent
- All I want to do is trigger scenes
- All scenes have been programmed into the STICK and assigned to buttons
- Tried sending with and without spaces, with and without CR and or LF, no response
- commands sending are same as in video 01 01 FF and 01 03 FF

Thank you,

MG
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: RS232 Help - can not get to work

Post by simonB »

Hi MG

Have you tried with the LookRS232 application?
Make sure you're sending Hex values and not ASCII

If it still isn't working, it could be a problem with the STICK. We've had a few returned due to RS232 problems. We can test one with RS232 and send it to you if necessary.

I'm in Frankfurt next week so please send me an e-mail and if I'm busy at the show I'll forward it onto one of our decvelopers
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Lumenpulse
New Forumor

Post by Lumenpulse »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using Termite as my PC RS232 sending program, I see no option to change the data string format.

Sending 01 01 FF as an ASCII string will not work? I have to tell the software to send actual hex?

let me see if my other software has that option.

thanks
Lumenpulse
New Forumor

Post by Lumenpulse »

I GOT IT!!!!!

Yep, ASCII was set not HEX.

Thank you so much!!!!

MG