STICK Pre-purchase Question

User based support for the Sunlite Touch Sensitive Intelligent Control Keypad

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, Ben

MikeM

STICK Pre-purchase Question

Post by MikeM »

I have a STICK DMX addressing question. My plan is to have 2 rooms setup with independent RGB LED strips, approx. 5 meters each, controlled by a single STICK.

1) Creating a shopping list, what other than the LED ribbon and the STICK itself would be needed? Assuming that the LED ribbon has no address means by itself, there seems to be additional hardware needed to achieve different colors/effects on each segment simultaneously.

2) The STICK has 2 universes available, can I plug one length into each set of ports, creating two "zones"? Is there enough power for the LEDs if that is possible?

I scoured the FAQs and other online sources and didn't see anything about this basic setup.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: STICK Pre-purchase Question

Post by simonB »

Hi Mike

DMX is a control signal, it cannot power anything. You will need to purchase a DMX LED driver for your LED units which will power the units and translate the DMX message into something the LED's can understand. The driver you need to purchase depends on the LED units you are using. Here is an example of an LED driver:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-C ... e=googleps
Note that although the LED driver above can power up to 12 RGB units, it only has 3 channels, therefore you don't have seperate control over each RGB fixture. If you would like to e-mail me with more information on the LED products you are using. I have some connections with some LED driver companies and should be able to put together some package options for you.

2. yes you can. You can run a cable from each DMX universe output on the STICK to each of the two rooms. The control you have over the fixtures and areas does not relate to the way you physically wire up the units. All DMX devices within a DMX universe are linked in serial so if you ar eusing more than one power unit per room, you can link these together.
usLEDsupply
New Forumor

Post by usLEDsupply »

we use DMX Decoders like these http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/rgb-4a-dmx-decoder.html about $50ea you can connect as many as you like on the DMX output of the stick and assign the starting address of each device then you have full control of each color on each light or in your case (each section of RGB Strip will use 3x channels)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Thanks for the responses. I've recieved my STICK and am beginning to assemble the needed supplies and will check into your links.
Mike