DMX Signal Issues, Failing Fixtures, PLEASE HELP!!!

Sunlite Suite, the lighting control software which even outshines most of the consoles available on the market !

Moderators: simonB, dylan, RichterMC, florent

Scarpace

DMX Signal Issues, Failing Fixtures, PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by Scarpace »

HERE IS WHAT I'M RUNNING...

- Computer: Acer AspireRevo mini PC , Intel Atom 230, 1GB, 160GB HD, & Windows XP Home
- Sunlite Suite Economy, SL1024EC
- 1 x 50' Live Wire DMX Data Cable
- 1 x 25' Live Wire DMX Data Cable
- 1 x DMX Terminator
- 1 x Chauvet VUE 6.1
- And several other lights, but no need to mention

HERE IS THE PROBLEM...
With a straight 75-Foot DMX Data cable ran direct to the Chauvet 6.1 (even with a DMX terminator), I seem to be getting some sort of interference. When I send a DMX command to make the VUE only use the BLUE color, it responds correctly.. sort of… I notice that they start to switch a little back and forth to the red colors. And no matter what color I put it on, it seems to do the same thing. Sort of like a signal loss or something. This issue has actually made 2 of these light fixtures fail after about 30-40 hours of use.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TRIED WITH NO SUCCESS YET:
- Different cables
- With or without DMX terminator
- Different Sunlite DMX Controller (I own 3)
- Different USB Cable
- Double checked to make sure the DMX cable is not crossing any power lines and is not near any neon or blacklights or anything unusual.

Please HELP! I can not afford to blow another light fixture due to this issue. ANY IDEAS?
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: DMX Signal Issues, Failing Fixtures, PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by simonB »

Hi

1.Try the Chauvet on it's own with a 1m cable to make sure it is definitely an interference issue.
2.Try with the 50 foot cable but just with the chauvet to make sure it is not another faulty cable causing the signal to be corrupt
3. Cheaper manufacturers products like Chauvet's don't always respond well to long signal lengths, you should try a DMX repeater/splitter if you can get hold of one.
Simon
--
Sales/Support