How many lights can SL512EC run without a booster ?

Speak about discontinued products here such as Sunlite 2004, 2002, 2000, ESA 2007 and EasyView 2004.

Moderators: simonB, dylan, RichterMC, florent

newtodmx

How many lights can SL512EC run without a booster ?

Post by newtodmx »

How any lights can sunlite run without a booster. Lets say i have 20 fixtures totally spread evenly over a 100 meter dmx line daisy chained. Each fixture has 10 channels. With a dmx terminator at the end of the line. Will the signal carry ?

Post by Guest »

It depends on the cable, on the fixtures...this is difficult to say that. You should test and the use of a bosster is better.
newtodmx

Post by newtodmx »

You mean there is not even an approximate safe limit. OK will this interface work over 2 meters of wire for about 5 fixtures ?
roberto
Maxi Forumor

Post by roberto »

I always recomend a DMX splitter/Booster at the output of my Sunlite Interface. It splits, amplifies, but the best is that because it is optoisolated, it will protect the Interface against voltages, ground loops, etc.
DMX 512 is RS485 serial al 250 Kbaud, as such any installation must meet the requirements of EIA485. In particular use of suitable good quality cable is important (Mic cable is NOT suitable) suitable cables include:
Belden 9841
Belden 9842
Alpha 5274
Amongst others.

The EIA485 standard supports a maximum of 32 devices on a line, if more are needed, a repeater should be used to add 31 devices more. The repeater is considered a device.
Each line must be terminated.
The total lenght of the cable per line in a repeater is 300 meters with cable 24 AWG or 500 meters with cable 22 AWG.
roberto
Maxi Forumor

Post by roberto »

In theory the Sunlite output will run 32 devices with a 24 awg cable of 300 meters lenght in total.
But I always recommend the use of a Splitter right at the output of my Sunlite. Then I have the option of 32 devices 300 meters long on every output of the splitter.
newtodmx

Post by newtodmx »

How much will a optoisolator splitter like what your mentioning cost ? And it splits the main signal into how many outputs ?
roberto
Maxi Forumor

Post by roberto »

There are optoisolators of 2, 4, or 8 dmx outputs , it depends on your need.
A two DMX output should cost around 150 dlls, depending on the manufacturer.
newtodmx

Post by newtodmx »

is there a non optiisolator type also which sells cheaper or something ? and all splitters will also boost the signal ?

BUT FINALLY, if im within 100 meters of dmx cable (not mic cable, but dont know the technicals of the cable) with about 20 fixtures on the line. The i shouldnt need a splitter ? IM USING SL512EC.
roberto
Maxi Forumor

Post by roberto »

All good splitters, they isolate, amplifies and splits the DMX signal.
Your Sunlite will easy handle the 100 mts cable, and the 20 fixtures.
Try to use cable 2 wires twisted pair with screen.
To use the splitter is to go safe.
newtodmx

Post by newtodmx »

How does one identify its a twisted wire cable 2 with screen ?
hschaerer

DMX cable

Post by hschaerer »

:D You can use Category 5 shielded LAN (network) cable. It works well and is easily available and quite cheap.