The future of Sunlite?

Speak about discontinued products here such as Sunlite 2004, 2002, 2000, ESA 2007 and EasyView 2004.

Moderators: simonB, dylan, RichterMC, florent

C_Gregory

The future of Sunlite?

Post by C_Gregory »

I’ve now been using Sunlite for about a year and looking at other DMX computer based systems I have to say that Sunlite is far superior in most respects. I use Sunlite mainly for musical stage shows. To date I have used the system on around 5 shows. It does seem however that Sunlite’s main focus is on control of intelligent lighting, traditional lighting taking 2nd place.

The power of Sunlite for the design and implementation of lighting for stage shows should not be under-estimated. Sunlite’s power in it’s ability to design 3D sets using EasyView and being able to show the customer what a stage will look like and how lighting scenes will look well in advance of any practical work being done in invaluable to the customer. This is a market that should be tapped. To date as far as I am aware there is only cast lightings WysiWig that performs this function but look at the price. I’m sure that Sunlite can tap this market so long as it can support traditional lighting effectively.

In light of the above here are my thoughts that perhaps you could think about.

A single system setup would be more appropriate, maybe a ‘SulitePro’ which installs both ‘Sunlite’ and ‘Easy Standalone’ into a common folder utilizing common fixture libraries and ‘3D view’ etc instead of the totally separate approach currently adopted.

Could the system be Project driven. The continual creation and deletion of pages can become tedious. The system seems to be designed for a singular design and not for multiple venues demanding different fixture requirements.

A common fixtures setup page would be more useful than the current system which splits the fixtures across several pages.

Is there really a need for two fixture type buttons. In order to utilize 3D view, intelligent lighting MUST be used for PAR cans, Fresnels, Profiles etc. It seems to me that the adding of ANY type of fixture could be done under one button.

If adding a profile or fresnel etc. could a beam angle be added to the fixture edit screen. This would control the Easyview angle used. This can be quite important on fixture having MANUAL beam angle control.

When editing a fixture in Sunlite, a colour button is available, allowing the selection of the beam colour. Firstly, could this be added to Easy Stand Alone. Secondly could it be changed so that a selection of Gels is provided for selection instead of standard windows colours.

Should not the fixture edit screen be the same for both Sunlite and Easy Stand Alone.

Would it be possible to provide for more than one fixture for a DMX channel. There are normally multiple traditional fixtures on a dimmer/switch pack and hence DMX channel.

Post by Guest »

First, I would like to thank you for your comments.

Could the system be Project driven. The continual creation and deletion of pages can become tedious. The system seems to be designed for a singular design and not for multiple venues demanding different fixture requirements.

It might be a good idea for next Sunlite 2004, we will try.

Is there really a need for two fixture type buttons. In order to utilize 3D view, intelligent lighting MUST be used for PAR cans, Fresnels, Profiles etc. It seems to me that the adding of ANY type of fixture could be done under one button.
If adding a profile or fresnel etc. could a beam angle be added to the fixture edit screen. This would control the Easyview angle used. This can be quite important on fixture having MANUAL beam angle control.

Because we use an intelligent lighting library for traditional lighting you can modify the beam angle by editing the library.

Should not the fixture edit screen be the same for both Sunlite and Easy Stand Alone.
Would it be possible to provide for more than one fixture for a DMX channel. There are normally multiple traditional fixtures on a dimmer/switch pack and hence DMX channel.

These software are totally differents and this is difficult to do this because of software architecture.

We will normally make this function for EasyView 2004.
C_Gregory

Post by C_Gregory »

Thanks for your responce :P .

Because we use an intelligent lighting library for traditional lighting you can modify the beam angle by editing the library.

There may be some confusion here.

A profile lantern will usually have a mechanically adjustable beam angle. for example 16 to 35 degrees. This is achieved via a slider which moves lenses within the fixture. In order to visualise this correctly in EasyView. The fixture edit screen would need a slider or similar to indicate the setting on the latern. In the above, somewhere between 16 and 32 degrees. Having a library for every angle between 16 and 32 degrees would NOT be viable.

Post by Guest »

Ok...

Thank you for your ideas !