Audio Bar Graph

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

LEDLightPanel

Audio Bar Graph

Post by LEDLightPanel »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and trying to accomplish something out of my knowledge scope. So please be easy on my newbie vocabulary with DMX.

We have a project request to make an audio bar graph out of RGB Glass Blocks. We manufacture the RGB LED Light Panels that will back light the glass blocks and can provide all the equipment needed to control each block, but we do not have the knowledge with audio input being converted to DMX signal. That is where I believe the Sunlite controller will come into place, but I need to figure out how this functions.

We have 126 back lit glass blocks divided into 2 groups. Each block is RGB, 3 Channels which is 379 DMX channels I believe. You don't count 0 correct?

I've attached an image, as you can see the blocks are split up in 63 blocks top and 63 blocks bottom. I'm thinking we could split the amount of channels by simply running the dimmer pack output to one top panel and one bottom panel in the same place. Each panel is only 5 watts, constant voltage. This would bring the DMX channels down to 189 or 190 channels.

Here are my questions:

1. How is the analog audio signal input into the Sunlite dongle?
2. What Sunlite would we need for this application?
3. Is it possible to program before sending the Sunlite to the customer? They want plug and play.
4. Where do I go to learn how to program the controller to function like this? 63 Frequency ranges is what will be required.

Thank you for the support in advance.

Respectfully,

Derek
Attachments
WiringDiagram.jpg
WiringDiagram.jpg (147.58 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
Bar Graph above and below the consoles will be controlled by the audio source in the store.
Bar Graph above and below the consoles will be controlled by the audio source in the store.
bargraph.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Audio Bar Graph

Post by simonB »

Hello Derek

None of our dongles have an audio input. It is not possible to trigger lighting scenes with audio in stand alone. I assume using a computer live on an installation like this is not an option. The STICK has a very basic audio triggering mode but this is only by overall velocity.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
LEDLightPanel

Post by LEDLightPanel »

Simon,

Thank you for the reply.

How are you doing it in the Bargraph thread? Where is the audio coming from, the PC?

We could have computer onsite possibly, but not the preferable way.

Regards,

Derek
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Yes, the audio input is coming from a chosen input on the computer.

There is currently no manual topic on this as it is still a beta feature, however I wrote a quick explanation in a post a few weeks ago in the bargraph thread.
To set this up:
-make sure you have a good audio input
-open the sound to light window and select the bargraph tab
-set the frequency range you want to capture using the frequency and width dials
-if you need more than 3 bands, then you can create new ones by clicking the down arrow and selecting new
-look at the level meter bars on each bar to change the attack and decay and gain dials to produce a level which looks good
-go to easytime, select the the bargraph checkbox below the loop checkbox to the left of each timeline you want to animate
-right click to change the frequency band
Simon
--
Sales/Support
LEDLightPanel

Post by LEDLightPanel »

Simon or anyone else,

Do you know of or could recommend any audio to dmx hardware that is can be programmed or is just hardware plug and play that could complete this project?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations, I'm not sure if you will refer other companies on a company board. If not, please message me I'm a little desperate to find a solution that is plug and play.

Respectfully,

Derek
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

maybe something like this will do the job, but they don't come cheap
http://www.pharoscontrols.com/products/ ... ollers/avc
Simon
--
Sales/Support
LEDLightPanel