Can't patch a Matrix with advanced positioning to universe 2

The lighting control software designed for easy basic applications.

Moderators: simonB, dylan, RichterMC, florent

HeartlandTech

Can't patch a Matrix with advanced positioning to universe 2

Post by HeartlandTech »

I have 2 SLESA-IP and I'd love to be able to have them both on the same universe output so I only have to program one show and have the slave mimic it.
Is there a way?

As a work around I was just going to program my show for 2 9x9 rgb (81 fixtures at 243 DMX). one on the master universe 1, one on the slave universe 2.
after trying multiple times to set this up I found that if I try to use the advanced positioning to align my fixtures to the actual physical placement it will NOT allow me to patch it to the 2nd universe. If I have already set up the first matrix on the first universe, then I attempt to do the same and set it to the 2nd universe, it comes up with a "Not enough space to insert all fixtures. but if I do not attempt to use the advanced positioning on the second universe matrix it WILL place it in the second universe.

is this a know bug? or just an added "feature"

is there a work around for my work around?

I am atempting to service an installation that has never worked properly. ANY information to bend ESA to this almost simple task would be apreciated.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Can't patch a Matrix with advanced positioning to universe 2

Post by simonB »

Hi

Regarding the "advanced positioning" on the second universe, I think this is a bug, I'll see with the developers and get this sorted next week.

If you want universe 2 to do exactly the same as universe 1, could you not just copy the same show to universe 2? Or even simpler, just address your second matrix the same as the first one and join them together. In this case you would only need one interface.
HeartlandTech

Post by HeartlandTech »

Unfortunately the installation was completed and then I was contacted to support it.

The system that I am working on provides control for 54 Insight LED fixtures split between the tops of 2 pylons that are part of a cable-stay bridge. Each pylon has an SLESA-IP1 at the base with a fiber optic network interconnecting the two. The end user wants the two pylons to work in unison so the two SLESA-IP1s are set to master in stand alone and slave in stand alone.

I'm not entirely sure how, but when I was contacted for support on this system the ESA had no fixtures patched into the program, just setting looks directly with channels, and they were able to control both with one universe. I am attempting to install the fixtures into a matrix (9x9 per pylon) to help make programing easier, as well as allow for use of some of the effects that ESA is capable of doing.

This scenario could have a couple different solutions.

1. Make both SLESA-IP1s output from the same universe in ESA.
-This would probably be my optimal choice. It would allow the end user to only have to program one look on one matrix, guaranteeing that both pylons would look the same, as well as still allowing for proper use of the effects.

2. Remedy the issue with ESA to allow an advanced positioned matrix on universe 2.
-This would still give us the ability to use the effects, just with the added end user difficulty of having to program each matrix independently.

Regarding your suggestion of coping the same show to universe 2; This is not an option because they want both "shows" to operate as one. Where as putting showfiles into both SLESA-IP1s with identical time changes on them might give the appearance of acting in concert, it does not ensure that they will.

Thanks,

Ben
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Hi Ben

Sounds like an interesting project. I will make sure the advcanced positioning bug gets fixed.

I'm sure the timing will be fine if you copy the same show to both with the same time triggers, however I'll suggest your idea about using the same universe.