System hanging

The lighting control software designed for easy basic applications.

Moderators: simonB, dylan, RichterMC, florent

davep3

System hanging

Post by davep3 »

I work for a PC reseller and repair company. A couple of months ago, a customer bought a laptop to run Sunlite ESA. When he's working with it, it freezes. I don't know much about the program, but I can tell you that it happens when he's editing colours or applying text patterns to the sliders. He's using a 8x8 grid for his lights display. The program hangs and when the list of processes is viewed in task manager, it shows the processr is at 100% and the process esa.exe is the one demanding all the processor's runtime, with a 99-100% share of the processor. Then after a minbute or two, it goes back to normal and the processor shows at around 15%. Our customer is concerned that something like that might happen during a show. The laptop he's using with it is:

1.6GHz mobile celeron
512MB DDR2 RAM
Windows XP Media Centre

It seems to be exclusively a problem within the program and I have downloaded and installed the latest (non-beta) version to see if this resolves the issue. Strangely, the program behaves fine on a less powerful desktop PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The customer has a show this evening so would like it resolved as soon as. I have applied my own general IT knowledge over the last day too, and not come up with an answer.

Cheers.