Color mode for changing color temperature?

The baby of the STICK family.

Moderators: simonB, nick, florent, Ben

olaf

Color mode for changing color temperature?

Post by olaf »

Hello,

The GU-2 video tutorial explains the color button/function as allowing to switch between different RGB colors. I don't have RGB lights to check that, but I have lights that allow color temperature adjustment, using one channel to set brightness, the other for color temperature.

Now the brightness function works just fine, but so far I couldn't get the color temperature switched through the color mode. (No problem with scenes.) I have tried assigning both "color mixing" and "color" to the second channel, but there was no response. Does the color mode only work with "RGB" or are there other functions that would work too?
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Color mode for changing color temperature?

Post by simonB »

At the moment it only works with RGB, but we're planning to integrate color temperature mixing to the GU2 later this year. This will come as a firmware and software update and we'll announce this in our forum and newsletter.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
olaf

Re: Color mode for changing color temperature?

Post by olaf »

Btw, this currently already seems to be implemented in the DE3, but according to the manual it assumes two light sources of different colour temperature. Would it be possible to also implement control of a single light source with adjustable colour temperature?

The Philips UID-8530 is doing this in exactly these two modes, spread over the channels, so lights need to be set to appropriate channels: From channel 1 to 412 it assumes a warm white light on odd channels and a cold white light on even channels. From channel 413 to 512 odd channels control brightness, even channels control colour temperature. The UID-8530 can only control all lights as one, so they used the separation into channels. One the GU2 it would probably require two selectable modes...
olaf

Possible solution

Post by olaf »

I think I found a "solution", although it is better called "workaround". Since there is no official CCT-changing function defined, it will probably be difficult to implement this by function in a controller, Philips solved this by implementing the change by channel instead.

So my workaround is to use generic single channel dimmers for all channels, then assigning the brightness channels of all lights to one zone and the CCT channels of all lights to another. That way I can set scenes separately for brightness and color temperature, or simply individually adjust both through the controller's brightness adjustment. The drawback: GU2 does not support multiple zones, this requires a DE3.