Using two Midi controllers with SS2

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

warinthestars
New Forumor

Using two Midi controllers with SS2

Post by warinthestars »

I was wondering if there was a way to get two Midi controllers to work with the software. I have an APC20 & APC40 that I would like to use. Right now, the actions are mirrored. It seems the Midi is mapped the same on both which is causing it to act the same.

What would I need to do to get both working independently?
heelius
New Forumor

Re: Using two Midi controllers with SS2

Post by heelius »

Good Mornig.

The problem may be that both MIDI-Controllers have/send the same Midi-Channels/Values.

I remember such a proplem with my two Behringer BCD 2000 in another lightning SW. I had to configure the MIDI-Range of both controllers different....
This should be the first thing to be checked.

If the controlles send different MIDI and it´s still not working there is a tool called MIDIOX.
It puts the MIDI-Signals of different controllers together to one big virtual controller...
But if this tool works with the SS2, I don´t know.

Greets.
heelius
mtregael
Super Forumor

Post by mtregael »

Hi,

you have to filter the hardware used by each console.
How to do that ? hum... easy... :p

Right click on "Midi device settings" in the related console tab:

You can choose for input and output the hardware affected to that virtual console. So your midi messages are correctly routed.

(i use for 4 years an APC Mini and and APC 40 at the same time)

Regards,
Gaël Rambaud
Light Designer and Technician
Sunlite Suite 2 and Suite 3 Beta / 7 universes (Suite2 FC + 4 artnet)
*** Freelance ***
gael (@) bloc-company.com
http://www.bloc-company.com
heelius
New Forumor

Post by heelius »

Hello.

Looks great.

Is it also able to use totally different conrollers, like the Elation Midicon and an BCD2000?

That would be cool. A lot of faders, buttons, jogwheels.....
pperpot
Junior Forumor

Post by pperpot »

Hi,

I've got several questions for mtregael...

How does SS2 make the difference between a message coming from APC40 from a message coming from APCmini ? (i mean your MIDI interface)

Tell me if I'm wrong but, in the "midi device settings", the "midi device name" is just a name (you can call your interfaces the way you want !). So only the index number is important. Where do you specify the index to use for a midi message ?

Can you send exactly the same MIDI message from your APC40 and your APCmini ? (for example : note on/off #60 on midi chanel #1) ?

questions for all :

Is it possible to manage a MIDI interface with several MIDI IN ports ?

Thank you in advance for your support !
Cheers !
Olivier
peteknobloch
Junior Forumor

Post by peteknobloch »

pprpot asks: Is it possible to manage a MIDI interface with several MIDI IN ports ?

If the application will support and can be configured to input data from multiple ports, then the answer is yes. But most of these will just merge the 2 Midi port streams into one that goes to the application. If the application only lets you select one Midi port as the input then you have to provide the merging using an external box or software such as Midi-Yoke or Midi-Ox. This Merging function doesn't change the commands but just combines the 2 ports into one. This doesn't solve the problem where the 2 ports might send the same Midi commands to the application which causes duplication of functions on the 2 control surfaces sending the Midi data. To separate the functions you must configure the control surface to send different Midi channel (1-16) values to the application. This way each function you want to control in the application can be configured to react to whatever Midi channel is being received.

Pete
pperpot
Junior Forumor

Post by pperpot »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the explanation ! Theses softwares could be a good solution but I was wondering if it was possible to manage several MIDI inputs within SS2 (without any additional software).
The fact that most of theses softwares merge the MIDI input is an issue... : instead of having 16 midi channels multiply by the number of MIDI inputs, you've got only 16 channels. And this really makes a big difference...

Cheers !
Olivier
peteknobloch
Junior Forumor

Post by peteknobloch »

I understand that your questions related around the SS2 software using multiple ports. I don't know anything about how the SS2 system works. I took your question at the end of your post as a general question, not specific to the SS2.

If you are talking about just using NoteOn and NoteOff messages you are right about having only 16 channels. But there are a lot of CC (Control Change) messages that could be used if your control surfaces could support more than just note messages. There are a lot of undefined CC values that could be used if they could be configured. And if your system isn't being connected to any audio Midi, you could use CC values in a non-standard way. I don't know about what is configurable with the SS2 software but if it was possible for it to be configured to receive any CC command for controlling functions, you could have over 100 of them per Midi channel.

Maybe I should bow out of the conversation since all I am talking about is generalities using Midi rather than any specifics about the SS2 or the APC20 & APC40 control surfaces.

Pete
mtregael
Super Forumor

Post by mtregael »

Hi,
pperpot wrote: How does SS2 make the difference between a message coming from APC40 from a message coming from APCmini ? (i mean your MIDI interface)
I don't know how that's working... but it works. As what i've said, you select the midi device for each SS2 midi console you have created.
pperpot wrote: Tell me if I'm wrong but, in the "midi device settings", the "midi device name" is just a name (you can call your interfaces the way you want !). So only the index number is important. Where do you specify the index to use for a midi message ?
... same reply: you select the midi device for each SS2 midi console. So, SS2 know from which midi device the midi message comes.
pperpot wrote: Can you send exactly the same MIDI message from your APC40 and your APCmini ? (for example : note on/off #60 on midi chanel #1) ?
Yes, that works since more than 2 years without problem. (before, i had an apc40 and an apc20 together and that worked fine also)
Gaël Rambaud
Light Designer and Technician
Sunlite Suite 2 and Suite 3 Beta / 7 universes (Suite2 FC + 4 artnet)
*** Freelance ***
gael (@) bloc-company.com
http://www.bloc-company.com
pperpot
Junior Forumor

Post by pperpot »

Hi guys,

Pete,
you're right. I can also use program changes (that's what I do, but I don't use a control surface), or different velocities to trigger different buttons with one note... If fact, the way you send a MIDI message depends on the kind of device you use to send it. Once again, you're right !

Mtregael,
Thanks for your very clear answers ! Even if I still don't know how nor why it works ! That's a developper secret...

Thank you again. I really appreciate your cooperation !

Cheers
Olivier
warinthestars
New Forumor

Post by warinthestars »

mtregael wrote:Hi,

you have to filter the hardware used by each console.
How to do that ? hum... easy... :p

Right click on "Midi device settings" in the related console tab:

You can choose for input and output the hardware affected to that virtual console. So your midi messages are correctly routed.

(i use for 4 years an APC Mini and and APC 40 at the same time)

Regards,
THANK YOU SO MUCH