Midi Problem: Livid Ohm64 + Suite 2 Beta, 30.11.2011

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Midi Problem: Livid Ohm64 + Suite 2 Beta, 30.11.2011

Post by simonB »

Hello, please explain briefly what you're looking for...sorry but I don't have all day to re-read this whole thread...
Thanks
Simon
--
Sales/Support
racso
New Forumor

Post by racso »

I'm using a BCF-2000,
with has Feedback for the Motorized faders, led's on the Knobs and Led's on the switches and it all works out-of-the-box without any problem.

Did you check if the midi-out is setup right in Sunlite ?
Tschosef
Experienced Forumor

Post by Tschosef »

Hello Simon,

short description:

is use a Livid Ohm 64 Midi controler. It has also midi feedback to switch on the lamps behind the buttons.
The Usage is simply.... if the Ohm receifes the same MidiMessage and value what he sends by pressing and releasing the button, the lamp under the button will light or not

Now, i control the Switches of software by using the buttons of the Midicontroler:
if i Press the button, the light goes on (feedback from software!!!! not Omni mode!!!) and Switch will be selected.
If i releas the button, the light goes off (also feedback from software!!!) and the switch is still selected (this is okay.. but the light should also be on!)

the Problem is, the Lamp of the MidiButton. It shows not the real status of the switch, wich is selectet by the midi button.

If i control the Swithes by using the Mouse, the lamps of Midi Buttons work CORRECTLY !!!! if Switch in software is pressed, also the lamp is on!!!!

So.. the Feedback of Midi signal is not correct... it simply always send back , EVERY Value it receifes by midi. But with my settings the software should ignore the release of MidiButton also for midifeedback, not only for "software input" (hope you understand my problem).........

If you want to, i will record a Video what will explain the problem .....

greez
Erich
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Open the MIDI test window within the software settings and check to see what message is being sent when the button on the MIDI controller is released.
Make sure the Toggle (flash) option is set to false

If you're still having trouble, send me a show with:
-1 page with 1 single channel fixture patched
-1 on/off switch
-pair this switch with 1 button on your OHM console
-set up this show exactly as you normally would

Also:
-Open up the test window
-Press and release the button on the OHM
-Take a screenshot of the test window and send it me
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Tschosef
Experienced Forumor

Post by Tschosef »

hello Simon,

okay i will do this.
Open the DMX test window
i think you talk abought Midi Test window ?? :-)

greez
Erich
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

yes sorry MIDI test window
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Tschosef
Experienced Forumor

Post by Tschosef »

Hello Simon....

here are the results:

(upload will be ready in 30 minutes, abought 100MB also with Video of Problem)
http://www.dl.he-laserscan.de/TestShow_ ... edback.zip

in the Zip is the Show you ask me for (4 switches).... the same way i use the software also for LiveBand setup (Switches for color, Switches for Moving and Positions... and more..)
also 3 "small" videos are inside the zip file, i hope they explain, what i talk abought all the time :-)
you will see: Virtuell Console, Real Console, Switches... and in 3rd video the Midi Input and Output Messages.....
hope this will help.

Midi Feedback is a "complexe Theme" also Gernot says, you will have to think abought how to create a "propper" Midifeedback (in this Thread) .... Actually its not really usefull :-)

best regards
Erich
Tschosef
Experienced Forumor

Post by Tschosef »

Hello once more...

i actually aded also a 4th video, with verry surprising effect... but simply watch it....

greez
Erich
Oclaus
Junior Forumor

Post by Oclaus »

Hi there,

I have already postet the same issue on another thread.
We are experiencing the same with the APC40 controller.

We think that if Sunlite2 would stop in sending a note off with the velocity of 127 once you release a led button, the LED would remain on as it is meant to be.

Hopefully the developers read this and try to realease a beta with this difference...
Controllers with coloured led feedback buttons can also help to make sunlite a very handy and much more powerfull tool as soon as the LED remains on once the button has been activated.

Propably the developmnent team has some words on this.

Regards,
Oliver
http://www.jmarquardt.com/
http://rote-sonne.com

Sunlite Suite 2 FC
Sunlite STICK
Sunlite SL512EC

APC 40
BCR 2000
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

We are not spending time programming special functions for specific controllers. If the feedback doesn't respond the way you would like it to, then I recommend that you purchase a controller which allows full MIDI editing such as the Behringer BCF2000.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
Tschosef
Experienced Forumor

Post by Tschosef »

Hello Simon..

okay... i understand your message, i also know the problems with midi. May be you know, i am also a programmer of Software (laser Show software), and the user also want to control it by midi. Manny midi controllers are avalliable! All the devices use the same Midi Standard, but the usage of Midi is still very different. This is also the reason i don't support midi feedback in my software generally :-)

but... in the Description of Sunlite Suite 2 (Manual) i am able to read:
Almost everything in Sunlite Suite 2 can be controlled by almost any MIDI or DMX controller. You can
use the console editor to create an image of your own controller. See the console editor topic for more
information.
With the console editor, you can re-create a graphical representation of your MIDI or DMX controller
with moving faders, dials and buttons
okay... its true, there is nothing written abought midi feedback for midi controlers and others..... thats right. So if Midi Feedback is not working.. simply switch it of and remove it from software :-)

I already had a BCF2000 controller but i sent it back to dealer :-) i don't trust the Motorfaders, and when i am doing a job, the controller must work.
The price of livid ohm64 is a other one, and i love it.

Fact is, the usage of midi feedback using the Livid Ohm64 is qute simple !!!! The device doing that, what the software (in this case suite) is saying. If the software tells "Lamp off" ... the lamp is off... if it says "Lamp On" ... then its on :-) there is no Omni Mode or something else, what is makng errors.

The problem is:
Sometimes sunlite suite 2 send the correct values back, and sometimes (mostly) it send funny things back to the midi controller..... mostly it simple send back, what it is receifing.

Did you realy watch all 4 Videos? Is this not surprising what you see there?
We are not spending time programming special functions for specific controllers
I am sorry, but i think i don't talk abought a special function for a specific controller!.. i think the standard function "Midi Feedback" will also not work with many other controllers, using led`s behind their buttons.

as i know, actually only controller witch are using omni mode are working correct, because the feedback for them is not generated by SunliteSuite 2, its generated by their own cpu.

okay.... , may be i will program my own workaround, getting midi from Livid Ohm, filter it and send it to Sunlite via virtual Midi Port, and send back my own midi-feedback to the livid controller.

greeeez

Erich
Astey
Junior Forumor

Post by Astey »

i use the launchpad (without the nasty automap) and a bcf2000
they perform fine with led & motorfeedback.

regards