midi console

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

Astey
Junior Forumor

midi console

Post by Astey »

Hi Simon
I'm running into a big problem with my Novation launchpad alternately Apc40.
Due neither Novation nor Akai are able to supply their products with full functional drivers I have to configure my pads via a third part software called 'Bome's midi translator pro'. Unfortunately this software is not able to link itself between, the Novation native driver called Automap and the Launchpad(Midi-controller), so I programmed some workarounds, but there is no way they work properly:
- I can just define the color of the active scene but all other pads keep the Automap color (red)
- when I bypass Automap i can set every color but every button has to be hit twice... because the toggle of a button is still active in Automap but not on the Launchpad.

-If I don't use Automap, just 'Bome's midi translator pro' then there is no toggle function that works right, because Suite2 doesn't send a feedback message when an incoming message of a triggered button is sent. The problem is, the Apc40 & Launchpad sends 127 by pressing a button and 0 by releasing it. To keep the light glowing, I would have to press a button all the time, which is not possible.
(the internal toggle works btw.)

Right now Suite2 output specification works with a few controllers like the Bcf/Bcr only, which have their own osd, but most of them don't have that. So the need of most controllers from suite 2 is midi-out for the triggered button. At least on and off messages to set toggles from Sunlite.

I spend 6 hours to figure all possible ways out.

just want to mention again that suite 2 freezes everytime I change midiout not in the first few seconds. if it doesn't freeze, it will do so, after closing the program - "setting fixture..." doesn't disappear.
I'm on windows xp sp2.

Regards Cedric
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Re: midi console

Post by RichterMC »

Astey wrote:
if you run the software a while and then you rearrange the midi/output (& input ports), more than once with hitting ok. the application freezes on windows xp.
just want to mention again that suite 2 freezes everytime I change midiout not in the first few seconds. if it doesn't freeze, it will do so, after closing the program - "setting fixture..." doesn't disappear.
I'm on windows xp sp2.
Hi Cedric , Hi Simon
I can reproduce this one, also Windows XP but SP3
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

if you run the software a while and then you rearrange the midi/output (& input ports), more than once with hitting ok. the application freezes on windows xp.
I cant reproduce this, but I'm testing on windows 7 so it could possible be an XP issue. I'll see if we can find an XP machine to test this out on. What midi devices are you using when you get the freeze?
Astey
Junior Forumor

Post by Astey »

Any Midi Controller, virtual midiout, doesn't matter on my computer.

But what about the original question, to send feedback for external pressed buttons?
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Post by RichterMC »

Astey wrote:
Any Midi Controller, virtual midiout, doesn't matter on my computer.
Yes, same here. It does no matter what midi devices .
cant reproduce this, but I'm testing on windows 7 so it could possible be an XP issue.
No, it´s no a XP only problem.
I test it on my Windows 7 64 Bit PC and get the same freezes here.
@Simon
Please try this:
- start SL2 Software
- load a Show
- go to midi setting and change them around ( Midi In, Midi Out, MTC In, MTC Out)
- Hit OK
- Now work with SL2, trigger buttons, change scenes,etc.)
- after some time go back to the midi setup and change settings
- Hit O.K.
- freeze ! (works 100% of the time here)
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

I've managed to get it to crash now, but not 100% of the time. Anyway...we must get it fixed..
Astey
Junior Forumor

Post by Astey »

end of the week I will receive a new notebook with windows 7, so can test suite2 with this too.
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Post by RichterMC »

I've managed to get it to crash now, but not 100% of the time. Anyway...we must get it fixed..
Great, if we can reproduce it, they can fix it. :-)

But lets talk about the Midi-Out to light button-pads on ext. controllers like APC40 from Akai or Novations Launchpad .
They are a lot of this "Ableton Live" controllers out there and Suite 2 should support them.
@ Cedric
What kind of Midi-Message does the APC 40 or Launchpad need to light a button in a certain color ?
I don´t work with ableton live and don´t have a controller to test.
I got a X1 from Native, it got luminous button-pads, too.
Maybe I try with this one...

Best Gernot