LED Strips freezing up. Please help

User based support for the SLESA-U7 - SLESA-UE7 - SUITE2-FC

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, florent, Ben

daveymit

LED Strips freezing up. Please help

Post by daveymit »

Hello,

I bought my SLESA U7 a couple of years ago and put a couple of simple scenes on it for my LED strips. I haven't had time until now to really get into it and add more scenes.... Until it fell over. Here's what I did:
- Went to write the new program to memory but that failed.
- Upgraded firmware from 1.19 to 1.22 all ok.
- Can now write to and read memory all ok.
- When I run the SLESA in either stand alone or live mode whilst connected to my PC, it ddoesnt seem to be outputting the DMX properly. The led strips are frozen (like stuck at a frame of the currently active scene) for about 10 seconds then it skips forward to the next frozen frame at that point, and so on....

These are RGB WS2811 pixel strips, only 110 pixels. I am using the 'generic' 'rgb' fixture. I have checked cabling and it is all ok. Could my DMX Chip be faulty?? Does anyone have any ideas as this is doing my head in.

I also remember when I first bought the controller I had this same issue but only when it was running live off the PC. When it was in stand alone it was all ok.

Thank you,
Dave
daveymit

Re: LED Strips freezing up. Please help

Post by daveymit »

Edit:

Just replaced the DMX chip and no difference whatsoever....

Does anyone have any ideas at all? Maybe a rollback of firmware somehow? I haven't seen any previous versions online anywhere...

Thanks again
Dave
Ben
Super Forumor

Post by Ben »

Hi Dave,

Have you tried testing your device with the Hardware Manager? Connect the device and test to see if the DMX out is working okay with your light here.
Benno
--
Product Support
daveymit

Post by daveymit »

Hi Ben,

Yes last night I connected it to the HW manager and found the DMX output was set to some very high and random numbers with no preset selected. I select standard and voila! All good

Cheers
Dave
peteknobloch
Junior Forumor

Post by peteknobloch »

We had the same problem but it locked up every few days or so. All seems good for us now with the default timing values.
daveymit

Post by daveymit »

Hi Pete, does your DMX out seem to be slightly choppy like its a slow frequency? My strips are like this and am wondering whether I should tweak these values a little. Any thoughts?

Cheers
peteknobloch
Junior Forumor

Post by peteknobloch »

We are controlling lights and doing slow fades. With you using LED strips, it sounds like you would be outputting some fairly fast patterns. I am not the one to be responding here since I don't have any backup knowledge with the DMX parameters. But I would stay away from setting any of the values to 0. And some of the delays are specific to the DMX interface and changing some of these might cause problems. Go ahead and try different values. The worse thing that can happen is it gets flaky or stops working all together. You can always revert back to the previous parameter that worked.

Something else you can do is make sure you don't send all 512 bytes of DMX data. Stop at your highest address. I don't know how to do this but I am sure you can with this software.

Pete