speed difference betwen STICK and PC

ESA PRO combines the ease of use of the Easy Stand Alone software and new powerful tools required by the latest LED fixtures

Moderators: simonB, nick, TomHat, florent, Ben

teedub303
Junior Forumor

speed difference betwen STICK and PC

Post by teedub303 »

One other question. I'm trying to program a strobing pattern on some 3 channel LED fixtures. I get the program working perfectly with the computer connected, but when I upload it to the STICK, and disconnect the PC (or put it in stand alone mode) the pattern runs extremely fast. I haven't noticed this problem with other patterns, only with this one. Any idea what's going on?

Also, is there any way of retrieving patterns programmed into the STICK that weren't saved on the PC? I had ESA Pro crash after i'd uploaded changes to the STICK, but before I saved the file to the PC. I'm trying to recover that work if possible.

Thanks,

Jeff
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: speed difference betwen STICK and PC

Post by simonB »

Hi Jeff

You can read from the interfaces memory by clicking "Read the Interfaces Memory" on the stand alone tab.

Regarding speeds. The STICK should run at the same speeds as the computer, the only issues with speed differences should be with the 3D visualiser as it requires a powerful graphics card to run effectively. If you want to e-mail me your show I can take a look for you.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
teedub303
Junior Forumor

Post by teedub303 »

I seem to get an error when I click on the 'Read Interface's Memory' button. I don't remember the full text of the error, but I remember it told me to refer to the Options menu.

What address should I send the show file to?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Clemens
Big Dark Spot Entertainment Technology
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Simon
--
Sales/Support
teedub303
Junior Forumor

Post by teedub303 »

Ok, I'll send it when I get home to my other PC.

One other question. While I was programming the other day, I somehow lost all output from the Stick while controlling it from the PC, but if I switched it to 'Stand Alone' mode, it worked perfectly. I wasn't able to re-gain control, so left it as is, since it worked with the programs I had already uploaded. Any idea how to get control back? I even tried rebooting the laptop.

Jeff
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

If it's connected to the correct USB hub and the "DMX mode" is set correctly on the stand alone tab, it should work no problem. See the stick not detected troubleshooter here....

http://www.nicolaudie.com/tutorials/stick

voiceovers will be added later this week
teedub303
Junior Forumor

Post by teedub303 »

The computer recognizes the STICK, and you can change the STICK's mode to Live. You can even upload new shows, but the DMX output doesn't follow what you're doing, so you can't see to program new scenes. In STAND ALONE mode, the DMX output works perfectly, so it doesn't seem to be the DMX chip. I'm going back on-site this afternoon... I think I'll try cycling the power on the STICK or re-uploading the firmware and see if those help. Not sure how it got into this mode.
teedub303
Junior Forumor

Post by teedub303 »

OK, after playing with this some more, it appears that static values set to last for a certain amount of time are what are messing up the speed. They play correctly in ESA Pro, but once uploaded to the STICK, they last a very short amount of time.

For instance, in ESA Pro, I created a scene that has a static value for 2 minutes, then over the course of 30 seconds changes to a different static value, for another 2 minutes, then changes over 30 seconds back to the first value. It works fine from ESA Pro, but when uploaded to the stick, the entire pattern lasts 1 minute... and is changing constantly, rather than lasting 5 minutes, and only changing for two 30 second bursts.

It's like it's losing the timing on the static sections... to try to overcome this, I changed the static sections to gradients, with the start and end values the same, but it still behaved the same way.

I meant to send you the file, as requested before, but I keep leaving it on my other computer. I notice that somebody else in the forums has mentioned a similar problem.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks

Jeff
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

We sorted a similar problem last week. Try downloading the latest ESAPro beta, then download the hardware tools patch here:
http://www.nicolaudie.com/tutorials/sup ... 0Nov19.zip

Extract and copy it into the ESAPro directory, open it up and update the firmware. Hopefully this should sort your problem.

Simon