Using MEVP.dll to communicate with Freestyler Demo

Easy view 2006, the ideal “3D real time” simulation to visualize stage and lights simultaneously !

Moderators: simonB, nick, dylan, RichterMC, florent, Ben

Potatophysics

Using MEVP.dll to communicate with Freestyler Demo

Post by Potatophysics »

Is there documentation anywhere on how to use MEVP.dll to
communicate with Easy View 2006 in demo mode?

I see that in the SDK for the DMX modules there are some
methods for communicating with E.V. (slmini) but this doesn't
seem to be the way that FreestylerDMX communicates with
E.V. It seems like one would need a .h file or something to link
against and a readme would be great too.
Marc
Experienced Forumor

Post by Marc »

MEVP.dll is not open, we have a business agreement with Freestyler.
If you need more informations, send an email at [email protected].
thanks for playing...
jfitzpat

Post by jfitzpat »

Marc wrote:MEVP.dll is not open, we have a business agreement with Freestyler.
If you need more informations, send an email at [email protected].
Slightly off topic, I think it is unfortunate that there is no good way to really test Easy View with a controller before purchasing a copy.

Many other other applications that support open protocols like ArtNet and CITP let you try-before-you-buy. VJ/Media applications like ArKaos VJ DMX and even other design/visualization products, like Capture. Generally, they disable save functionality and some put running time limits, but I think it is very helpful for users to really see what they are going to ultimately get.

I'm sure you have your reasons. Perhaps for a certain segment of the market, the inability to save, and even a time limit would not be a hindrance to getting all they need out of the product, but it might cost you some sales.

I actually saw one of our users work with a full version of 2006 (dongle attached) awhile back and was more impressed than I expected to be. When another user asked me about visualizers recently I included Easy View in my list of suggestions. I was really surprised when we next spoke and he had very negative feedback about it. It wasn't that I love Easy View, but I thought you have a very nice product for the price.

After talking to him, I think that the negative reaction had more to do with his efforts to 'try-before-buy' than the product itself. There might be easier ways, but without guidance the path he took was something like:

-Download the demo
-Can't seem to test with a console
-Ask/search, go to Freestyler
-Download Freestyler
-Co installs conflict
-Uninstall original demo
-2nd install does not run
-Uninstall Freestyler, Easy View remains - seemingly with no uninstall link
-Get daring and run 'uninst' executable in folder
-Reinstall Freestyler
-Easy View launches, but apps do not communicate
-Uninstall everything and try the 'manual install' suggestions in FreeStyler (guessing at the actual file names)
-Uninstall everything again and try a FreeStyler beta from the forum
-Learn both apps well enough to get matching patches and something happening with the fixtures

After all that, Easy View still is not at its best. I tried the last two steps myself and the live visualization is a *lot* more jittery than I recalled. Of course, there is no easy way to tell if that is Freestyler, the visualizer, or the computer. Also, the Easy View main menu bar did not render correctly in whatever special mode Freestyler launches it in. And, worst of all, I got some intermittent hangs. Again, there is no way to know if it is Freestyler (which is officially a 'beta') or something else. But it would be unfortunate if your window was frozen, while the FS window still responds to mouse clicks, not because of some bug of yours, but because of, say, some wierd Visual Basic thread renetrancy thing into your DLL from FreeStyler.

Again, I'm sorry if this is off topic - I don't have any desire to reach a 'business arangement' and access 'limited mode' (or whatever). I just know that more of our user base would not dismiss Easy View out of hand if they could more easily make it do something before buying it.

-jjf
testerjoe

Post by testerjoe »

does somone read the [email protected]??
i've write some mails with no answer!!
bruno.falip
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by bruno.falip »

Yes, every day
testerjoe

Post by testerjoe »

i'm not happy with freestyler and dmxcontrol.
so i have asked to using mevp for my own new project!

can i get more informations??
bruno.falip
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by bruno.falip »

You need to purchase a Developer Kit to establish a communication with our software. You could also purchase a complete product but there is no need.