MIDI Set up

Speak about discontinued products here such as Sunlite 2004, 2002, 2000, ESA 2007 and EasyView 2004.

Moderators: simonB, dylan, RichterMC, florent

teggers
Junior Forumor

MIDI Set up

Post by teggers »

I went ahead and bought a MIDI controler that is USB connected to my computer. I got the software you mentioned elsewhere in this forum called Midimon and I can see the MIDI notes on my laptop, but I just can't get it to trigger the midi switches in Sunlight.

I have the latest version.
I set the starting preference to Midi enable.
I set the button settings to Midi notes and assigned a note number.
I have tried to assign midi notes to individual channels in the button edit window. There is an advanced tab that is not covered anywhere that I can find in the manual.
How do I set the Page settings - trigger page on midi? I see nothing in the manual about this stuff.
Because of Midimon, I know the notes I am trying to use from the keyboard are the correct values.

Can you describe step by step how to get this working...I have another show in 5 days?

Am I missing a chapter out of the direction?
dylan
Maxi Forumor

Post by dylan »

First to use the MIDI in SUNLITE you need to have the first class version.
To test if the MIDI works in Sunlite, go in "BUTTON SETTING" menu, tab trigger and click the advanced button. At the bottom of this window you have a white zone, and if you send MIDI the coresponding data will be appear.

let me know if you can or not see your MIDI input in that white box.
------- Dylan --------
Robby

Post by Robby »

One more thing...
You should close Midimon before trying to test your Sunlite MIDI. If you have the Midimon running, it could take the MIDI signal from your Sunlite software.
teggers
Junior Forumor

Post by teggers »

I closed Midimon and I do not have any MIDI readings in that white box to the left of the auto set up tab under advanced in the button settings.

Now what?

I still do get readings in my music program and in Midimon.
Robby

Post by Robby »

Try this out:

1. Disconnect your interface from the computer. Let's make the software work out first, and then we can worry about the interface (it needs to be a First Class interface, as opposed to an Economy Class).

2. Go to CONTROL PANEL, then SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES, then click on the AUDIO tab... make sure that your console is selected in the MIDI pull down menu, and not your computer's sound card.

3. Try it again. If this still doesn't work, we can do one of two things:

a. Give us a call and we'll try to work it over the phone
b. Come to our office in Kissimmee (intersection of 192 and Turnpike). Bring your interface and console if possible, and we'll make sure you leave here knowing exactly what to do. Plus, we can work on any other questions that you could have.

Talk to you soon... have a nice weekend!
teggers
Junior Forumor

Post by teggers »

OKAY!

Got it. Thanks so much!

I reinstalled (replugged) the keyboard in....that reset the midi in in Windows then I unticked (unchecked) the starting parmaters and restarted the program with out the audio in checked. Then rechecked the MIDI in option and restarted again.

Works now. Now...how do I control the parameters like you were telling me about? What area of the program? Also, is there anything written to show what all the MIDI settings are in the "advanced" tabs throughout the program?

See all you have to is threaten that I would have to drive down 441 to Kissimmee!
Robby

Post by Robby »

hahahaha... yes, that's our latest trick down here... :)

So... to answer your questions briefly:
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. No, there is no documentation on the MIDI settings at the moment. This function was developed after our official release for Sunlite 2004, and was included in later releases of the software as a beta testing function, mainly because of its potential to help our customers.

It has been and is being modified still. The final shape for the MIDI functions in next year's release is still under work. We apologize for this inconvenience...

However, I believe that undocumented MIDI with good customer support trumps no MIDI... right?

anyway...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2. As far as our software goes, there are two types of MIDI consoles: keyboards and faders/knobs.

a. KEYBOARDS

To trigger a button using a note from your keyboard, the easiest way is to do it just like you would with a regular key from your computer's keyboard:

Select your button, then go to BUTTON SETTINGS, click on the TRIGGER tab, and then check the MIDI NOTES box. Then simply select your CHANNEL and NOTE.

If you don't know what numbers you should select for these (they should be in your console's user manual), you can click on the ADVANCED button inside the Trigger tab, and then click on the left-most notes on your keyboard.

Notice how the COMMAND, CHANNEL, STATUS, and VELOCITY numbers at the bottom of the window vary. Actually, CHANNEL should not change at all, and STATUS corresponds with the note you are pressing on your keyboard.

Also, notice how the numbering in the notes is sequential, so once you know the note number for the first key, you can count up (12 notes per octave).

Once you figure out these numbers, click on CANCEL ("Annuler", actually... translation bugs), and simply select the appropriate CHANNEL and NOTE.

Then click OK and unselect your button. If we did everything right, everytime you click that particular note on your keyboard you should trigger that particular button. Of course, you can assign several buttons in different pages to the same note in your keyboard. This way you can trigger several switches and scenes with just one click.

so that's it for keyboards... give us a call if this doesn't work...

----------------------------------------------------
b. FADERS/KNOBS

There are several ways to assign these, but I find that right now the simplest is to program it from the ADVANCED window in the TRIGGER tab from the BUTTON SETTINGS menu.

However, our next release will count with a visual console interface, where you will be able to see your console on the screen and just double-click on the sliders you want to assign. Much Much simpler...

But anyway... Make sure you select a button with a fader in it (preferrably a switch with a dimmer to follow my example), so you can see how you are controlling that fader from your console.

Then again, we need to go into BUTTON SETTINGS, TRIGGER tab, and finally ADVANCED button. If your console is connected properly, anything you move in it will change the output of the COMMAND, CHANNEL, STATUS, and VELOCITY, just like the keyboard.

At the top of the window, you will see a BUTTON root menu, then ACTIVATED, DIMMER, SPEED, and SIZE submenus, each with a Midi option inside.

So, say we are controlling a regular dimmer using a fader from our console. If the fader is in the zero position, the dimmer will be OFF, and as we rise the fader, the dimmer output should rise as well.

1. Click on the MIDI menu right under BUTTON ACTIVATED. Using the COMMAND pull-down menu, you want to change the NO COMMAND option to whatever number is displayed at the bottom of the window (command = ##), regardless of the description next to it.

2. Click on the word INACTIVE next to VALUE 1, and check the box that appears left to the word INACTIVE. you will move the slider to the position 1.

3. Open the MIDI menu under DIMMER. Do the same thing for COMMAND. For VALUE 1, you will move the slider to the position 1, and VALUE 2 all the way to the right to position 127.

Then click OK for the ADVANCED window, and also OK for the BUTTON SETTINGS. If you look at your selected button, you will see how you control the fader in it with your console. Furthermore, when you are in the zero position, your button is not activated (if you used a SWITCH button only, because SCENE buttons cannot be disactivated this way).

The same goes for the SPEED and SIZE options in the ADVANCED window. You can play around with this for a while. Doesn't take too long to get used to it. Before you know it, you'll be using your console all the time.

Let me know if this works or not... it should work, but you never know.

Have a nice weekend... bye
teggers
Junior Forumor

Post by teggers »

Thanks...that gives me something to start with!

I'm going to trade in my basic MIDI controler for one that has parameter adjustments and learn from the basics.

...and yes, I would rather have the MIDI with little documentation and good help than no MIDI at all!

It might be a good idea to tell people that the MIDI is kind of a gift considering it is a year early....might keep the people from getting upset because of the lack of documentation...

I am grateful that you took the time to post what you did.

Tim